LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2008-05 > 1210763047

From: "JFHH" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Re Occupation Tanner
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:04:07 +0100

Hi Colin, Marion
----- Original Message ----- From: "CHarl" <>
> I have read most of the responses to your enquiry and just wondered if perhaps you had the wrong
> St Lukes. One of the largest tanneries in London was off Grange Rd Southwark as has been
> mentioned; those tanneries were in the parish of St Lukes Southwark.
> Regards> Colin> BC> Canada

If by St.Luke Southwark you mean St.Luke Grange Road, Bermondsey this parish was not created until
1885.
Marion's query concerned someone claiming birth in St.Luke's c.1823.
St.Luke's on its own in a Middlesex/London context generally means St.Luke's Old Street, but there
is also St.Luke's Chelsea [opened 1824].
Another lister has found a tannery in Goswell Street [now Goswell Road] about the right time frame,
which could be relevant.
What Marion hasn't said is where he joined the army in November, 1841 - he could, of course, have
left home to work in ( or family moved to) Bermondsey.
November 1841 means that Marion may find him in the 1841 census. Although John JOHNSTON [possibly
recorded as JOHNSON] is relatively common, an age and occupation and born in county if Middx., out
county if Surrey may narrow the field.
Marion also needs to ensure that he was not increasing or decreasing his age on enlistment.
What has survived on/of his army records?
Does his marriage certificate give his father's name and occupation?
Cheers

John Henley
researching (and not finding much time for - but always very glad to hear of any)
HENLEY, PARKER, RAPER, [London/Middlesex]
DURDEN, PRENTICE [Essex/London/ Woolwich] ,
SECKER, [Suffolk, London/Middlesex]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [ Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [IN Staffs/Cambs/Berks]

This thread: