LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2008-07 > 1216501146

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] 1891 Probate records
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:59:06 +0100

Hi JK

I did not say they are all the same, I said the two I have are ;-)

In an ideal world we would of course want copies of all documentation,
however for the majority of us I doubt that is possible as for the most part
they do not exist and those that do will cost a certain amount to ferret out
if only in transport and so on

The notices regarding interested parties are more likely to be found in the
paper rather than as a separate item and are often a good lead to a will
being probated

I am only thankful that some of mine actually left wills at all

Best wishes Nivard Ovington, in Cornwall (UK)

> However, I wouldn't totally agree that registered copies are exactly the
> same as the originals. As you say the signatures aren't the same: but.
> more
> importantly, sometimes there are documents filed with the original which
> are
> specifically marked "not to be registered" but which are nevertheless
> required as part of the proofs of probate.
>
> The most obvious is published adverts looking for interested parties -
> usually in The Times or The Gazette, but sometimes in local newspapers. I
> have also known correspondence required for production to the Court and
> bound in the with the original Will, but of which there is no mention in
> the
> register. It doesn't happen often, I agree, but one should really obtain a
> copy of the original if at all possible. I've even typed the stuff for
> probate purposes in the 1970s!
>
> This applies to pre 1858 Ecclesiastical Probate Courts as well as post
> 1858
> Probate Courts. I've worked on pre-1858 London wills, cleaning and
> documenting the originals, and indexing the registers. I would not leave
> my
> researches to one of the resources without checking the other.
>
> Just thoughts....!
> JK

>> I have a couple of original wills and they show exactly the same as the
>> registered copy only they are signed by the relevant persons
>>
>> Best wishes Nivard Ovington, in Cornwall (UK)

This thread: