LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2008-07 > 1216589046

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] John William REED, barrister,solicitor Justice of High Court
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:24:06 +0100

Hi Jim

Would I be right in thinking that the 1885 reference to John William senior
comes from his son's marriage certificate? And would this be the marriage
in St Saviour district in Q2 1885 to Ann Louisa Pocklington? If I have got
the right family, then John William Jnr is a sign writer in 1891 and a house
painter in 1901. These would be odd occupations for the son of a
solicitor, let alone a barrister, and even might even be seen as a come down
for the son of a law writer (who was basically an early, human form of the
office photocopier, but nevertheless a "white collar" worker).

I cannot find a likely looking family in earlier censuses, nor am I quite
sure what you mean by "listed in British Chancery". Perhaps you could be a
little bit more detailed and specific about your sources and the other
information you have about this branch of your family to help us point you
in the right direction?

Best wishes

Caroline