LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-03 > 1236424353

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Newspapers for Croydon, UK 1976
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:12:33 +0000

Hi Joan,
There would have been a death notice in a local or national newspaper
if the family paid for one to be put in.

There is only likely to have been an obituary if May was a prominent
local or national figure. The local newspapers in the uK tend not to
run detailed obituaries for anyone else.

You could look in the British Library Newspaper Catalogue online for a
suitable local newspaper
http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/blnewspapers/newscat/newscat.html

or The Times if your library has access to its archive.

On a quick search it looks as though the Croydon Advertiser might be
your best bet. You would need to find a place ( the main library in
Croydon?) which has them on microfilm and would do a search for you.

HTH
Anne

On 7 Mar 2009, at 08:32, Joan Birtles wrote:

> Hello listers
>
> I have a death in Croydon, UK 29 Jan 1976 of May Alexandra
> KINCAID. Would
> there likely be a death/funeral notice for May and if so where could
> I write
> to follow up on the notice please.
>
> Thank you
> Joan