LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-03 > 1237033476

From: Patricia Barsby <>
Subject: [LON] APPRENTICE PAPERS
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:24:36 +0000

I have reached a dead end and need some other avenue with which to look for possible parentage, since many BMD records for the area seem to have been destroyed.

Would anyone on the list know of where to look for any existing records/CD for Carpentry/Chairmaker Apprentice papers for around 1860 onward covering Whitechapel/Bethnal Green/Poplar areas.

I can get no further back on my BARBSY line than the approximate birth of our WILLIAM PATTISON BARBSY circa 1848 in Whitechapel. He was a chairmaker and later a toy-maker.

I have been in touch with Tower Hamlets Records Office and searched for birth or marriage certificates with nothing forthcoming.

I do know that he married Ann Rose Charles and died at Poplar in 1896. I also have the 1891 census of the family though nothing definate for earlier years. The 1901 shows Ann in another relationship but the 1911 is much more interesting in that it gives the number of children born as 10 and the surving number as 5. Of these surviving children I only know of :
Ann born 1871 Shoreditch [no cert of birth or marriage]
Sarah born 1876 Whitechapel [no cert of birth or marriage]
William Pattison [birth/marriage/death found and direct line]
Lilian born 1894 Poplar [Birth/marriage/death found]

So if anyone can help or add anthing to the above that may offer new leads I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your patience in reading through this far.

Patricia

All your Twitter and other social updates in one place
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/

This thread: