LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-03 > 1237056322

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] APPRENTICE PAPERS
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:45:22 -0000

Hi Patricia

You've got a really slippery one here! Firstly, though I hate to disappoint
you, apprentice records are not your best route. By the 19th century,
apprenticeships were, by and large, a private matter between master and
apprentice and there were no official records kept (except where a young lad
was under the care of the Parish authorities and they organised the
apprenticeship).

I don't think that destruction of BMD records is the problem here. Whilst
there is no doubt that the registration of a fair number of events were
"lost" in the various processes involved from initial registration to the
creation of the GRO index, the most likely reason for not finding a birth is
that it was either not registered at all or registered under an unexpected
name. As to marriages, the commonest reason for not finding them is because
they did not happen.

The fact that Ann Rose CHARLES married under that name in 1892 (I presume
that is she) is very suggestive of her never having been Mrs BARSBY at all
(women very rarely risked bigamous marriages). The very large gap between
the older and younger children in 1891 might indicate that the two groups
had different mothers.

There is a possible William BARSBY in 1881 married (or probably not!) to an
Elizabeth from Wales. I wonder if there is a link between this couple (who
have a 7 week old son called Alan) and the other family in the same street
whose name seems to have been written as "Bursby". There are two Allans in
that family and it was a very unusual name at the time.

Have you ruled out the William BARSBY born in Bethnal Green in Q4 1848? Or
the family in 1851 with father John and mother Sarah?

Hope some of this helps

Caroline