LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-03 > 1237063159

From: "Stretton Research" <>
Subject: [LON] Richardson - All Souls
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:39:19 +1300

Hi List,

I was advised by the List owner to use a better Heading, than Help. So I have reposted my request, plus added more information. I thank all those on and off List for there very helpful replies.

'Harriet RICHARDSON nee MAY died on the 17 Apr 1858 at Melbourne, Australia. On the shipping list it says she came from Middlesex, and on her death certificate it says she was married at All Souls.

Now my question is, where is All Souls. I have looked at Phillimore's Atlas and Index of Parish Registers, and can not find this church under Middlesex or London.

Can SKS help me with this problem.'

I first found the family on the English 1851 Census in London. There was father, wife and one son. They were James RICHARDSON, Harriet and Arthur May. Arthur May RICHARDSON'S birth certificate was then purchased. He was born on the 13 Jan 1851 at 18 Norfolk Street, Parklane, London, England. His mother was Harriet nee MAY and from the census found that she came from Homerton, London.

Harriet RICHARDSON nee MAY arrived in Melbourne, Australia, on the ship 'COUNTESS OF YARBOROUGH' in December 1853. I don't believe she had any more children and it appears she was in and out of hospital before she died (see above). She died of Exhaustion from Bed Sores Caused by Paralysis.
I believe her husband came to Melbourne the previous year. This is unproven as there is so many James RICHARDSON'S on the shipping lists.

James RICHARDSON remarried ( in Melbourne ) the year after his first wife's death and had 2 children ( born in Melbourne ). The family then moved to New Zealand, where many of the descendants now reside.

My main reason for trying to find out where All Souls, is. Is that I am trying to find James and Harriet's marriage. I have searched Free BDM from 1848 to 1851 and the BDM's on Find My Past, without any cross reference.

Regards

Ron

This thread: