LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-03 > 1238447844

From: CAROLINE BRADFORD <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Searching a census by address or RG ref.
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:17:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi John

It depends on the "census provider".  If they have transcribed the address fields, then you will be able to search by it.  Ancestry have not transcribed addresses, so the only census you can search directly by address on their site is the 1881 (because they use the LDS transcription, which does include addresses, rather than doing their own).  FindMyPast, on the other hand, has transcribed addresses for most of their census offerings, so you can search in this way with them.  I think The Genealogist has them too.

If you are locked into Ancestry, you can search manually for a particular address by browsing to the relevant parish, then working through the descriptions of the EDs until you find the right street mentioned, then browsing the ED page by page.

Does this help?

Caroline