LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2009-07 > 1247643284

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [LON] London Solicitor 1900
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:34:44 +0100

The Law Society is the organisation for solicitors.
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/home.law

I thought they used to have a leaflet on tracing your family who were
solicitors but I can't find it now.

The National Archives has a leaflet about the Register of Attorneys
and Solicitors
http://tinyurl.com/m6d5ha

The easiest source for inquests ( some of which may not have survived
in court records ) is a local paper. Search the British Library online
Newspaper catalogue for a suitable one - which part of London did he
die in?

HTH
Anne
On 15 Jul 2009, at 07:37, Julian wrote:

> Hello London List Friends,
>
> this is my first posting so I hope it is all in order.
>
> Among my ancestor family is a solicitor, John Russel Thomson
> ROBERTSON,
> who practiced in London in the early 1900s. He died in 1914 in London
> and I gather an inquest was held into his death. Can some kind soul
> suggest where I might find a report on this inquest please.
>
> A second question is : What is the name and address of the
> Society/Institution/ Corporation of solicitors in London where I could
> enquire about an obituary of this gentleman? ( I have one for his
> brother who was a Civil Engineer from the Institution of Civil
> Engineers
> but I am unsure of the Legal Fraternity's equivalent)
>
> Finally, and this is flying a kite really, is there any likely
> source of
> photographs of Solicitors where I might be able to see what he
> looked like?
>
> All advice will be welcomed as living "Down Under" in Australia
> makes it
> very difficult to know where to start.
>
> Regards to all,
>
> Julian (on the Sunshine Coast fo Queensland, Australia)

This thread: