LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2012-04 > 1335295923

From: Ann Moore <>
Subject: [LON] William ASHLEY
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:32:03 +0100 (BST)

Hi, Can anyone help me please?

I cannot find William ASHLEY’s birth or his name on any census with his family.

My Grandfather, John ASHLEY and his family were born in London. Kennington, Lambeth.

Their names are Jessie, James, Richard, Alfred, John, [my Granddad] & William. [who I cannot find]
 Both Richard and William were killed in WW1
William ASHLEY was born in Kennington, Lambeth in about 1889 ish. I have sent for a birth certificate, Jan-Feb-March 1889 in Lambeth. However…I have John’s birth 9thNovember, also 1889. [I suppose it’s just possible to have 2 children same year?]
William was killed in Mesopotamia on 30.09.1916. He was with Queen‘s Own [Royal West Kent Regiment.] Number L/9335

The 1891 Census has all the children except William living at 10, Stoney Street, St Saviour, Lambeth.
The parents are James ASHLEY  and Louisa S. STEPPINGS.
James and Louisa married in February 1882 [Banns] James had been widowed and Louisa was a “Spinster.” I could not find another marriage for James though.
 I cannot seem to find a single document, with Williams date of birth or a census, where he is listed with the family

I would be so grateful for any suggestions please. Many thanks Ann
 . I have found the other children, in the schools admissions and discharges but again, I cannot find William., we have the military details in frames on the wall. Handed to us from our Granddad. So we know William exists.

This thread: