LONGCANE-L Archives

Archiver > LONGCANE > 2009-03 > 1236610149

From: William Lindsey <>
Subject: [LONGCANE] Notes on Patrick Calhoun (d. 1741)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 07:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

Rose-Marie,

Thank you for welcoming my notes on Long Cane families for this thread. I hope they won't be too long. My goal in making them available is to help anyone working on these lines. I don't make any claim that the notes are comprehensive, and I welcome corrections and additions from those reading the notes. My notes are probably more complete on my direct ancestors. I descend from Patrick's son Ezekiel, through his daughter Mary, who married Samuel Kerr. Their daughter Jane married John Green, and I descend from their oldest son Samuel Kerr Green (m. Eliza Jane Smith), through his son Ezekiel Samuel Green (m. Camilla Birdwell). Ezekiel Samuel Green was the father of my great-grandmother Mary Ann Green (m. Dr. Alexander Cobb Lindsey).

The following are my notes on the Patrick Calhoun who is husband of Catherine Montgomery and progenitor of the Calhoun family at Long Cane:

I have not found a document that clearly provides the date
and place of birth of Patrick Calhoun. Orval O. Calhoun, 800 YEARS OF
COLQUHOUN, COLHOUN, CALHOUN, AND CAHOON FAMILY HISTORY, vol. 4 (Gateway Press:
Baltimore, 1991), p. 44, says that he had located "notes" at
Clogherny Church in the parish of Clogherny, diocese of Armagh, which show that
Alexander Colquhoun, curate of the parish of Clogherny in Co. Tyrone, Ireland,
had 12 children, among them James Patrick, a fourth son.

According to Calhoun, the records of Clogherny church and
the "Armagh ms." show Patrick as the
fourth son. Note that all bona fide documents naming Patrick Calhoun (see
below for a discussion of these) show his name as Patrick and not as James Patrick.
It would be helpful to have a verified copy of the document
Orval O. Calhoun is citing here. Does the Church of Ireland parish of Clogherny have a baptismal register? If Patrick Calhoun,
progenitor of the family in Lancaster Co., PA, was the son of a parson, surely
his baptism would be recorded there? But if the Patrick Calhoun of
Lancaster Co., PA, was son of an Alexander and Judith Hamilton Colquhoun, isn’t
it unusual that he named none of his children Alexander or Judith?

Orval Calhoun (ibid.) says that Alexander Colquhoun was b.
1662 at Crosh House, studied for the ministry under a Mr. Simpson, and then
entered the Univ. of Dublin on 7 July 1679,
graduating with a B.A. in 1684, and taking holy orders, becoming then curate of
the parish of Clogherny. According to OC, AC married Lady Judith Hamilton
in 1684, d/o James Hamilton of Manor Hamilton and sister of Rev. Dr. Andrew
Hamilton, who d. 22 Sept. 1753.

It seems reasonable to believe that Patrick Calhoun was born
in Ulster,
and the tradition that he is the immigrant ancestor of the Calhoun family of
Lancaster Co., PA, and Abbeville Co., SC, seems well-founded. If he had a
daughter Mary who married John Noble (see her file), then his birth date may be
estimated as, perhaps, around or before 1780, since there is strong reason to
think she was his oldest child and was born around 1710—see her file for
details.

According to Mary B. Kegley, EARLY ADVENTURERS ON THE
WESTERN WATERS, vol. 3, pt. 2 (Marceline, MO: Walsworth, 1995), Patrick Calhoun
is thought to have come to America from Co. Donegal, Ireland, in 1733, settling
in Lancaster Co., PA (p. 594). Kegley thinks that Patrick’s wife
Catherine Montgomery had a brother James Montgomery who came to PA from Co. Donegal
at around the same time (ibid., pp. 723-726, citing David B. Trimble,
MONTGOMERY AND JAMES OF SOUTHWEST VA [Austin, TX, 1992], pp. 51, 101, 269.291).

An article by George Wesley Clower entitled "Notes on
the Calhoun--Noble-Davis Family," in SC HIST. AND GENEAL. 53 (1952), 51-3,
also notes that Patrick Calhoun came to Lancaster Co., PA, from Co. Donegal,
Ireland, after 1727 (see Gene Waddell, ed., SC GENEALOGIES: ARTICLES FROM SC
HIST. (AND GENEAL.) MAG., vol. 1 [Spartanburg:
Reprint Co., 1983], 285-7). The 1733 date of immigration also apparently
appears in an account of the family written by John Ewing Colhoun (son of
Ezekiel)--see Zella Armstrong, NOTABLE SOUTHERN FAMILIES, vol. 1 (Chattanooga, 1918; repr. Baltimore: Geneal. Publ.
Co., 1974), p. 46.

Lewin Dwinnell McPherson, CALHOUN, HAMILTON, BASKIN AND
RELATED FAMILIES (1957), says that Patrick Calhoun m. Catherine Montgomery
"probably in Londonderry, Donegal, or Tyrone counties," she having
been b. in Co. Londonderry in 1683-4 (p. 8).

Kegley says that Patrick Calhoun d. in PA abt. 1740-1, and
an inventory of his estate was taken in 1741 and recorded in Lancaster Co. in
1743. Widow Catherine renounced administration in favor of sons Ezekiel
and Wm., who were granted adm. on 4 May 1743. Final settlement was a year
later. According to the Calhoun file in the Leonardo Andrea Collection (#128,
p. 2), James Small and John Williams made the inventory, and John Noble and
James Mitchell gave bond with Ezekiel and Wm. for the estate adm.

I have a copy of the original inventory, dated only 1741, a
photocopy of which is in the John C. Calhoun papers of the South Caroliniana library. It contains a note by Patrick Calhoun
's widow stating, "I do ketren Calhoun give over to the right of admoesternate
Ezekewl and Wilam Colihoun the Goods and chattle [?] of Patrick Calihown
De[position?] taken [?] 1741." The inventory records 4 horses and a
colt, six cows, five young cattle, 19 (?) sheep, swine, wagon gears, plows, and
irons, "hosold" goods and plantation tools. I also have a copy
of the bond of Ezekiel and William Calhoun and John Noble to administer, dated
4 May 1743, also in the John C. Calhoun papers.

Salley, SC HIST. AND GENEAL. MAG. 39 (1938), p. 150
(repr. in Waddell, p. 284), discusses this estate file, noting that the estate
of Patrick Calhoun was inventoried in Lancaster Co., PA, in 1741, by James
Small and John Williams and presented to the probate court of the county in
1743. His plantation and crops in the ground were valued at 100 pounds; 4
horses, a goat, 6 cows, 5 young cattle, 19 sheep, swine, wagon, gears, plows,
irons, tools, and household goods were valued at 52 pounds 5 shillings.
Salley notes that settlement was on 4 May 1744.

Robert S. Calhoun, THE CALHOUNS FROM IRELAND (67 Emily Lane, Fort Myers Beach, FL;
1977), also has information about this Calhoun family (pp. 9-17). This
source also states that Patrick Calhoun came from Co. Donegal, Ireland, to the U.S. in 1733, bringing wife
Catherine Montgomery and sons James, Patrick, William, and Ezekiel, with
daughter Mary and her husband John Noble, and brothers John and William.
(What is Robert S. Calhoun’s source for the two brothers?)

According to Lewin Dwinnell McPherson, CALHOUN, HAMILTON,
BASKIN AND RELATED FAMILIES (1957), the Colquhoun family came from the Loch
Lomond area of Scotland and
settled in Northern Ireland at Convoy and Raphoe in Co. Donegal abt. 1670. McPherson notes that the
death notice of John C. Calhoun published in Washington, D.C.,
in 1850 stated that his father Patrick was of Bushfield in Co. Londonderry (p.
8). But McPherson also notes that Patrick Calhoun was "recorded as
being b. in Co. Donegal. McPherson quotes an unacknowledged source [the
obituary?] that states, "It was probably from the vicinity of Portlough in
Co. Donegal, Ireland,
that the father of John Caldwell Calhoun came with his father Patrick in
1733. Portlough is in the Laggan District at the Londonderry county and thereof, there being Colquhoun (Colhoun) grave inscriptions in
Monreagh Presbyterian Church cemetery in Laggan District..." (ibid.).

Andrea's Calhoun file (#128, p. 20) says that the SC Hist.
Com. has a book of sermons printed 1680-88 and inscribed "Patrick Calhoun
his book." This was given by Patrick Calhoun’s son Patrick to son his John
C. Calhoun, who in 1836 gave it to Col. M.O. Tollison for the Greenwood
Library, who then gave it to Gen. James Gilliam, a Caldwell cousin to John C. Calhoun. Gen.
Gilliam gave the book to Mary Gilliam Aiken, wife of A.M. Aiken, who gave it to
SC Hist. Commission.

Later (p. 138), Andrea says that he had checked the book,
which was actually published in 1727--a book of sermons Bishop Tillotson
preached before the crowned heads of England in 1680-8. The
signature did not match either that of Patrick Calhoun’s son Patrick or any
other Patricks of later generations. Andrea concluded it was that of
Patrick Calhoun, progenitor of the family. I have seen the original and
have a copy of the signature.

Zella Armstrong, NOTABLE SOUTHERN FAMILIES, vol. 1 (Chattanooga, 1918; repr. Baltimore: Geneal. Publ.
Co., 1974), pp. 46-8, thinks that Alice, wife of Robert Armstrong, was a sister
of Patrick Calhoun, and that this Armstrong family came to PA in 1735, settling
near the Patrick Calhoun family. According to Armstrong, this family (Robert
and Alice Calhoun Armstrong) did not move to VA from PA, but came directly to Abbeville Dist., SC,
just after the 1760 massacre.

The 21 Nov. 1847 letter of John C. Calhoun cited in file of
Patrick Calhoun’s son James states that James was Patrick Calhoun’s oldest son,
Ezekiel the next, William the third, and Patrick the youngest.

Note that Chestnut Level, where Patrick Calhoun died, is
where the Caldwell family settled when it came to America, before moving on to
Cub Creek in VA--see file of John Caldwell.

Note that a number of published sources have misidentified
the progenitor of the SC Calhoun family who m. Catherine Montgomery as James
Calhoun. McPherson notes that in 1936, George T. Edson of Beatrice, NE,
"corrected the long outstanding publications and/or traditions that this
immigrant Calhoun was named James," having discovered his estate record in
Lancaster Co., PA (p. 9). According to McPherson, one Calhoun Mays of
Greenwood, SC, then exhibited photocopies of the estate proceedings at a family
gathering in Columbia, SC, to prove to Calhoun descendants that the
immigrant was a Patrick (p. 9). Seeing his signature in the estate
documents and comparing with his signature on other documents convinced them
that Patrick was the correct name.
William D. Lindsey

This thread: