LOONEY-L Archives

Archiver > LOONEY > 2007-10 > 1192819652

From: THOMAS STREET <>
Subject: Re: LOONEY The Lipes Site
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:47:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Looney Family Researchers,

Great information on Robert Looney's place in VA.

I have a few questions about this family.

1. When did this Robert Looney leave the Isle of Mann?

2. Did they ever live in Philadelphia?

3. Were any of their son's born in the Isle of Mann?

4. Who was Robert's wife?

I seem to be related to his son Peter. Someone said he was born in Philadelphia and some of the sons in the Isle of Mann. It does not fit the time line. Not sure of the source. I want to clean up my information.

Thanks - -- - - -- - Tom Street

Soheyr <> wrote:
Found on-line on Ancestry.com--Teresa

QUARTERLY BULLETIN OF THE ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF VIRGINIA, VOL 26, NO. 2, DECEMBER, 1971
THE LIPES SITE
BOTETOURT COUNTY, VIRGINIA

Howard A. MacCord, Sr.

The Lipes Site (44, S0.1) lies on the right (south) bank of the James River, just west of the mouth of Looney Mill Creek, 15 miles west of the town of Buchanan, Virginia, and .4 miles east of the crossing of the James River by Interstate Highway 81. The site is about 25 feet above normal river stage and has rarely been flooded. Probably in prehistoric times, it did not flood at all. The site is owned by the Lipes family, to whom we are indebted for the privilege of making the present story of the site. We are also obligated to Mr. Stuart B. Carter of Buchanan for bring the site to our attention, for helping make arrangements for the work, for help in the actual field-work, and for his hospitality to several of us during the time we worked at the site.

The site has been known to the archaeological world for many years. A letter in the files of the Valentine museum of Richmond, from a Mr. Charles L. Wilson, dated 9 July, 1903, reports the findings of burials on a point where Looney's Creek enters the James River. He reports that many burial's were found and not removed, and that the site yields pottery, axes, ect. The burials were found about 1892 when an ice house was excavated on the site. In addition, many local collectors of Indian relics have found the site a productive place to search after each plowing. About 1966, Mr. Stuart Carter (with permission of Mrs. Lipes) tested a spot near the river bank and found a deep refuse-filled pit, which he excavated. The materials found in this test are included in the analysis of the cultural materials found in the current work.

A farm road perpendicular to the river leads from the high ground south of the river valley to the river bank at the western edge of the site. A corresponding road leads north from the north bank of the river. The river between the two ends of the road is still and deep, and here was the only suitable place for miles for ferrying across the river. The present farm roads are the survivors of the "Carolina Road" along which so many pioneers moved during the mid-18th Century, and the ferry is the well-known Looney's Ferry.

Because of the ideal topography of the site and its proximity to the road and ferry site, it was almost inevitable that the site would have been settled at an early date. While the earliest history of the site is unknown, it is certain that on July 30, 1742, Mr. Robert Looney patented the site. Presumably, he also kept a tavern for lodging and feeding the travelers using his ferry and the Carolina Road.

With the growing threat of Indian attacks in 1754-55, Looney was obliged to fortify his homestead. He probably had enough men (he had 5 grown sons) at the tavern-ferry to run the fort for routine guard duty, and he could count on neighbors and travelers to augment this force if an attack came. The fort was already in existence in 1755 and was called Fort Looney. Apparently the fort was never attacked, possibly because it was too strong. In 1758 the fort at Looney's ferry was renamed Fort Faquier in honor of the newly arrived Governor of the Colony. The subsequent history of the fort is uncertain. We know that Robert Looney died in 1769, and one son (Absalom) pioneered into Tazwell County (Stoner, 1962). Looney's house continued to stand, with additions and changes until about 1914, when it was torn down. A solitary pear tree still stands as an indicator that the site was formerly a homestead. In addition, there are people in the neighborhood who can remember the house. The
s!
ite is now a plowed field, and such debris from more than 175 years of occupation still litters the ground. Where the house formerly stood, the soil is filled with bricks and stones from the old foundations.