LOVETT-L ArchivesArchiver > LOVETT > 2002-01 > 1011230640
From: Sheryl Alvernaz <>
Subject: [LOVETT] Fwd: Lancaster Lovett Family Homes in Virginia.
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:24:00 -0800 (PST)
Sheryl Alvernaz <> wrote: Reply-to:
From: "Sheryl Alvernaz"
Subject: Lancaster Lovett Family Homes in Virginia.
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:29:19 -0800
B R I C K S A N D M O R T A R
WHAT'S LEFT IN OLD PRINCESS ANNE COUNTY
& NEW VIRGINIA BEACH
(Abridged, Online Edition)
C. W. TAZEWELL, Editor
W. S. DAWSON CO.
Virginia Beach VA 23466
BRICKS AND MORTAR: What's Left in Old Princess Anne County
& New Virginia Beach
(Only includes buildings as listed in the Inventory)
C. W. Tazewell (1917- ), Editor
Complete, printed version:
ISBN 1-878515-99-3, LCCN 93-71162
Copyright @ 1993 C. W. Tazewell
This abridged online version: ISBN 1-57000-049-2
Printed abridged version; pocket size:
Printed extract (descriptive historical text only);
does not include inventory: ISBN 1-57000-032-8
A handbook on old buildings in Virginia Beach,
Virginia, for the general public, and also of special
interest for historians, architects, librarians and
realtors. Descriptions and locations are included with
architectural and physical details. It lists over 135
significant buildings. Information is given on structures
now on the Virginia and National Landmark Registers as well
as those recommended for nomination by the Frazier Report.
The selections included in this publication are from
"City of Virginia Beach Inventory of Historic Buildings and
Sites, As of July 1, 1989, By Age and Location," prepared by
The Office of Research and Strategic Analysis of the City of
Virginia Beach, March, 1990.
The other significant reference is: Reconnaissance
Architectural Survey Report: City of Virginia Beach.
Staunton, Va.: Frazier Associates, 1992, which includes
photographs and extensive historical background.
Also, see Virginia Beach Vibes: More People and Hogs.
THE EDITOR: Lt. Col. Calvert Walke ("Bill") Tazewell
retired over 33 years ago as a Regular Officer of the United
States Air Force in which he was a communications-
electronics manager and meteorologist. Since retirement he
has been active with historical, library, environmental,
consumer, civil defense, amateur radio, and youth
organizations. He has over 15 years experience with
microcomputers. He was the organizer and first chairman of
a library system now serving a million people. He was
founder and first president of the Virginia History
Federation, and of the present Norfolk Historical Society
(now honorary president and life member of the latter). He
is a writer, historian and publisher. He is listed in
various U.S. and British biographical publications, and in
Who's Who In The World, 11th Edition, 1992-3. He was raised
in Norfolk, Virginia, and attended Norfolk Academy and Maury
GREEN HILL FARM - Lovett's Farm Road (Lynnhaven). The main
house was built by Lancaster Lovett prior to 1738. There is
a date of 1791 incised in a brick on the north wall, but it
is thought that this date was added when the roof was raised
and replaced, probably by Lemuel Cornick who owned it then.
Different owners further enlarged and improved it, making it
a magnificent house with a beautiful setting overlooking
This Georgian House originally consisted of four rooms,
two up and two down, each off a central hallway, and a large
cellar. The rooms on both the first and second floors have
high ceilings, decorative cornices, deeply recessed windows,
and attractive mantels. Both of the halls and the upper
part of the stairway have been altered. The brick wall
around the chimney has also been redone. A whole new
structure of rafters was installed to support a new gable
roof, thus altering the pitch of the roof. Near the roof
line on each side of the chimney, under both gables, are
little round windows which are not usually found in Georgian
homes. Yet all of these changes have not obliterated the
original charm of Green Hill.
One of the original outbuildings is still standing in
the east yard. It was once used as a kitchen but was
originally built by John Stratton circa 1638 and may have
been the first structure on the property. Of English Bond
brick, it has two rooms downstairs and a loft above. The
brick was recently plastered over and painted, but the two
unusual outside doors remain. John Stratton's land grant
was for many acres along the south shore of present Long
Creek and Broad Bay. Long Creek was then known as
"Stratton's Creek." A city map dated 1919 shows Stratton's
Creek running from the Lynnhaven River all the was to the
LOVETT (THOMAS) HOUSE - 2402 Holland Road (Princess Anne).
Thomas Lovett built this house sometime before he died in
1790. He willed it to his eldest son Thomas, and the
remainder of the estate to his sons Randolph and Reuben.
Evidently, there was some sort of family quarrel over the
division for Reuben changed the spelling of his name to
This house has been added to at least twice. The
oldest part is the room to the right with its door on the
left. Behind this room was added a ballroom at one time.
The additions have been carefully done to retain the flavor
of this Dutch gambrel house of two stories with double
chimneys on the west side and one chimney on the east.
The first Thomas Lovett was here in 1663 for in that
year as "under sheriff" he presented the Court with names of
Quakers who had been at a meeting contrary to the law, which
forbade the assembly of Quakers.
LOVETT'S LANDING (Pungo). This boat house was built in the
early 1930s and is still used as a boat house today. The
building is utilitarian with narrow wood ceiling and
panelling. It sits partly on the land and partly on the
water. This is a remaining example of boat houses that were
used for boat rentals to hunters while on Shipp's Bay.
Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.