LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] It's my research and you can't see it!!!
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:54:46 EDT

Fellow Delmarva Researchers (battening down the hatches if you are there?)

I believe there is a difference between paying for CDs/mega-website resources
and people not sharing their research. I agree with you on the sharing of
information. In fact my own Aunt (age 89, wary of computers to say the
least, but still going strong) only a few months ago relented and agreed to
send me her deceased older sister's "box" with all sorts of letters,
including some written by BOWENs who left Worcestor Co in early 1800s. The
letters are from the 1820s and 1830s. My aunt was worried about me "giving"
away to others (who'd publish for profit -- she had someone specifically in
mind) all of my other aunt (the family genealogist) work that she had devoted
hours to to someone who might make money off of it. I am not quite sure what
changed her mind. I only gently questioned her about once every two months!!
(grin) She lives in Louisiana.

With respect to CDs, If I had the money there are about 12 CDs and 30 books I
would love to have starting with Hinshaws Encyclopedia of American Quaker
Genealogy ($69.00) which is sold through FTM. I see no difference between a
CD and a book. CDs as a rule are packed with more information. We pay to
rent microfilm rolls, etc.

My argument with www.ancestry.com is that I have found almost all of their
information regarding linneages on www.gendex.com and/or
www.familysearch.org. They are indeed providing a service by giving you a
library at your fingertips. If you live far away from resources it is a big
plus.

There are many instances where we do not have/can not find cousins or
researchers. What if all of Ruth Dryden's books were on one CD and FTM
marketed it. Because I have 165 solid years ancestors on the Eastern Shore,
that is one I'd surely consider paying for. My costs at DAR alone for
copying so I would have documentation from th Worcestor land books, assorted
Somerset/Worcestor/Accomack abstract books, the 34 Families of Somerset, etc.
alone equal the price. When you buy a CD, you will have it, you can print
it out ad nauseum, you can copy and insert. I personally am grateful for
those who compose CDs. And alas, this is an industry, it is not just a hobby
or a profession. If you love boating, but can't build your own -- you'll buy
one and from a for profit company.

Look at all the genealogy books we rely on (not the limited edition family
books) to gather our information from that are published many of them years
and years ago. Those major book publishers turn a profit, but they aren't
castigated. Ruth Dryden's publishers turned a profit (she probably didn't
make much).

I guess I have said enough. I am eternally greatful to many of you out there
for having supplied me all manner of linneages on my
Bowens/Truitts/Flemings/Whaleys/Hammonds/Powells/Pateys/Fassits, etc....but
now I am filling in the blanks, providing the documentation, collecting the
will and deed abstracts referred to as "sources" myself, using books
published by companies that at the very least hope to be profitable.

I may be in a little different position than most of you. Although I have
some brickwalls b. 1818, most of them I am pretty sure I know where they go.
I don't have an ancestor that arrived in the U.S. after 1750 I imagine, and
almost all of my descendants of those were in SW MO by 1850s. I have
received a tremendous amount of skeleton linneages, all of which have been
borne out by going to county resources, etc. I rely primarily on books..and
with all my lines back to early 1600s in Massachusetts (Doans, Hopkins, Snow,
Twining) and in LDR I need alot to put together and alot of books!! And I
have just got started.

I research in DC, and will provide some thoughts on your trips to DAR,
Archives and Library of Congress. URLs for ahead of time step saving
research, etc.

Janet Hunter

This thread: