LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Family Tree Bookshop" <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] Bonnewell
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:17:09 -0000

Dear John:
Welcome to the LDR all the way from the homeland of the shore. Read
your note with interest. It would appear that the south during the Civil
War would have been considered the "solid south" in terms of the move for
secession, however that was not the case. In quite a few states, there was
quite a large percentage of people who opposed the drive for secession.
Most of these, however, once the war broke out fought for and did defend the
south as loyalties to state and neighborhood, etc. were much stronger than
any "national" ties. Still, in many states there remained substantial
numbers of "secret Yankees" or "loyalists" It was based on this belief that
Lincoln put forth the Emancipation Proclomation and it was based on this
that he began formulating his plan for reconstruction after the war
ended--known as the 10% plan.

One of the earliest actions of the war was the Union occupation of the
Lower Shore of Virginia, however, it usually has escaped much attention of
Civil War historians. The lower shore was a strategic point and was a
necessary area to control, if the union was to control the Chesapeake bay
and to enforce the blockade. One of the best books concerning local history
during the Civil War is a book that we carry written by a good friend of
ours, Eric Mills called "Chesapeake Bay in the Civil War" ($29.95) and is as
thorough a history of the shore and the bay during the war as you will find.

Best wishes to you,
<<<Neil>>>
www.familytreebookshop.com