LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: Jan Roggy <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] MD photographers Pocomo and Crisfield-Tilghman
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:36:03 -0500

I am curious about this chair. If I was to send you a copy of my
grandparents's photo with a heavy ornate chair, would you be able to
compare this chair and tell me if it could possibly be that same one?
That might help me prove a connection to Crisfield. I know that my
grandfather (Hezekiah Covington Elliott, better known as H.C. or Captn.
Hezzie) used to take his boat from Calvert Co. Md and cross the bay to
visit his family at Crisfield & Tilghman's Island there on the Eastern
shore of Md. I have found that his grandfather Abel Elliott came from
Elliott Island, Dorchester Co. to Solomons Island, Calvert Co., ca.
1850. This was a large family, and I have not been able to connect to
all of the siblings. I especially have not found out who it was that
"PopPop" used to visit in Crisfield. He faithfully visited some family
there every year, but no one knows who it was, as he had 2 brothers, one
deceased at that time and the other lived there in Calvert. I was told
by a neighbor of my grandparents, that my grandfather always spoke of
having a sister who was "disowned" by the family. Possibly back in those
days, they would be shamed by an unwed pregnancy and would have sent her
away had she become pregnant? Perhaps this was who my grandparents
visited. They both passed away without me finding out the answers
unfortunately. I have no clue, but am looking for any connection to my
Elliott family. The photo of my grandparents has hung on the wall of
their home forever it seems. Mom died at age 65 and she said it was
there as long as she could remember. My "pop" was born in 1883, and they
were married in 1915, so I assume it is their wedding picture. I just
have a copy of it, I don't have the actual photo. Was this photographer
in business about that time? I know that I can't send an attachment thru
the list, but would someone be willing to look at this photo and compare
this chair for me? I would be thrilled to share information with any
Elliott, Covington, Muir or Parks line from this area.
Jan Rutledge Roggy from northwestern Illinois, with all my ties in
Maryland