LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "David Kearney" <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] This Was Chesapeake Bay
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:12:57 -0400

This Was Chesapeake Bay presents a SAMPLING of life on the Chesapeake Bay, with a particular emphasis on the days of working sail on the Bay, particularly from the latter 1800s through the mid-1900s. The book's coverage is not intended to be comprehensive as to people, ships, etc., but does provide a good feel of life on the Bay in an earlier era, and in limited instances, provides interesting secondary genealogical information. The author, Robert H. Burgess, grew up in the Baltimore area, and so the stories seem to be weighted somewhat toward activity in Baltimore. Later, Burgess became the Curator of Exhibits at The Mariners Museum in Newport News.

Unfortunately, I don't see the HASTINGS, BENNETT, COLLINS, or WALSTON names in the book's index.

Dave Kearney