LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Marjorie Adams" <>
Subject: [LDR] FW: 1860 Sussex census
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:35:02 -0500

Further to my question: No one corrected me; Millsboro is in Indian River Hd today. The Millsboro post office in 1860 served people in Dagsboro Hd, IR Hd and Baltimore Hd, presumably including Fenwick Island which does not make sense to me geographically. Was mail delivered in 1860 or did people have to pick it up at the post office? Would mail have been delivered to Fenwick Island from Millsboro by boat? I say presumably including Fenwick Island because John Smith is listed on that census as light house keeper and is said to be the first at Fenwick Island. Was there ever a light house at the Indian River Inlet?