LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Carter Dick (LegHall)" <>
Subject: [LDR] A Note E.N. Vallandigham's "Delaware and the Eastern Shore"
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:43:27 -0500

I was pleased to see that Mr. Buckingham is scanning Edward Noble
Vallandigham's wonderful 1922 book, "Delaware and the Eastern Shore,"
for inclusion on his site, as it has been a favorite of mine for many
years. The full title of the book is "Delaware and the Eastern
Shore--Some Aspects of a Peninsula Pleasant and Well-beloved." I first
encountered it on a friend's library shelves in the early 70s. Shortly
thereafter I bought a modern reprint and just recently found a very good
early edition in a rare book shop in New Castle for $30, which pleased
me no end. It had the added enhancement of having a copy of Mr.
Vallandigham's 1930 obituary pasted inside the rear cover. In addition
to Vallandigham's engaging prose, the book is also replete with
wonderful early 20th century photographs of the Delmarva Peninsula.

Vallandigham (pronounced Ve-lan' dig-gam) spent much of his life in
Newark, where he was born about 1855. He was for a time a professor at
what was then known as Delaware College (now the University of
Delaware). As a boy he spent a lot of time in what I believe was his
mother's hometown of Snow Hill, Maryland, and writes vividly about early
days in that area. One of my favorite parts is Chapter X, "An Old
Maryland Plantation," in which Vallandigham writes about the picturesque
Major Joshua Prideaux of Worcester County, Maryland.

I also love his account of voyages on the Chesapeake and its tributaries
aboard the old Chesapeake Bay steamboats. I vividly recall my
grandmother's accounts of taking "the night boat to Baltimore" from her
native Somerset County up to her alma mater, Western Maryland College
(now McDaniel College, I believe), from which she graduated as
valedictorian of the class of "aught eight," as she used to call it. I
have quoted from "Delaware and the Eastern Shore" in several of my own
books over the years. While Vallandigham was more of a journalistic
writer than a formal historian, he had a very readable style and a
wonderful insight into the essential spirit of Delmarva.

Vallandigham is also interesting in another regard: his family were
noted southern sympathizers in the Civil War and he was the nephew of
the famed Ohio Civil War copperhead congressman, Clement Laird
Vallandigham, 1825-1871 (about whom see the online Wikipedia entry).
Edward Vallandigham was also a onetime editorial writer for the New York
Sun, the Philadelphia Record and the Boston Herald. In addition to
"Delaware and the Eastern Shore" he also wrote "Fifty Years of Delaware
College." He died in 1930 in Seville, Spain, where he was traveling
with his wife.

Dick Carter

>From Mr. Alan Buckingham's message of 6 December 2007:

"I have scanned and uploaded the first 20 pages to the book "Delaware
and the
Eastern Shore". It is available at http://www.midatlanticarchives.com

You can click on the link on the index page to jump to the start of the
most
recently added section."

This thread: