LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Terri Rosenthal" <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] Keep the powder dry ... Report from Kill Devil Hills
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 23:51:05 +0000

Please stay safe!!
Terri in VA.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:42:34
To: <>

Keep us posted! We are now getting some very conflicting information from
various media sources.

Elizabeth

In a message dated 8/26/2011 7:39:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

We're getting some really impressive wind now, 30-40 mph, with increased
rain. Hard to believe we're just receiving a glancing blow, which will start
to diminish around 6am. My main fear is for Trinity Center, the beautiful
100-acre retreat center of the Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina, on
Emerald Isle, just south of Atlantic Beach, NC. It's directly in Irene's path;
during Bertha about 12 years ago, tidal erosion ate a large meeting center
on the shoreline, even though it was 20 feet above sea level. The Diocese
replaced that with a new center, plus a large outdoor pavilion and a "silent
retreat" house---they are at risk now, in my opinion. I hope that people on
that barrier island have taken proper precautions...

Bob Nichol
Wilmington, NC