LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: Jackie Helmke <>
Subject: [LDR] yeoman
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 11:38:56 -0600

I looked it up in the dictionary, but I am curious what everyone's take
is on the word, yeoman. My Theophilus Simonton (I), in his Will, 1754,
called himself a yeoman. Theophilus Simonton's (I) wife was Mary Smith,
sister of Archibald Smith, (sounded like a merchant), whose Will was in
1729, Lewes, Sussex Co DE. Theophilus' (I) Will was written in
Conestoga Manor, Lancaster co PA, but probated in Rowan Co NC.
Theophilus (I) is probably buried in Lancaster co PA. His son
Theophilus Simonton (II) had died in 1751 in Lancaster co PA (empty Will
packet), we think that is when the Simontons, Allisons and Thorntons
realized they were not owners of the land they had been working. After
Theophilus Simonton (I) died, 1754, all of the Simontons, Thorntons,
most of the Allisons, moved to then Rowan co NC, now Iredell co NC.
Mary Smith Simonton sued Patterson, cannot find documentation about
this. Think they thought they were buying the land, but did not
actually own it. Thanks...

This thread: