LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: roger brown <>
Subject: [LDR] Browns
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:05:44 -0500

Hello all,

I am new to this website. And looking forward to expanding my knowledge of
the history and families of the lower Delmarva peninsula. It appears that
most of my ancestors came to the eastern shore (Va and MD) and Delaware in
the 1600s so Delmarva is my primary area of interest.

I have found out about a lot of my ancestors but right now I am most
interested I am interested in finding out information about the elusive
Browns in Dorchester, Somerset and Sussex counties in the 1600s and 1700s.
I believe I am related through separate lines to the Scottish Browns and
English Browns. I can trace back to a William Brown who married Amelia
Bestpitch in 1796 in Greater Choptank Parish. I suspect William's father
was George Brown who lived next to the Bestpitches in Dorchester County in
the late 1700s but can find no confirming evidence.

Likewise, in another branch I can trace back to Elizabeth Brown, born in
1798, who married a Hughes, and after he died, married Josiah Cannon and
lived in Bridgeville. I think maybe her father was a Charles Brown and
mother was a Clarkson, but again can find no hard evidence.

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

Also interested in the ancestors of Selby Sharp, who seems to have come out
of nowhere in Sussex County in about 1770.

Thank you.

Roger Brown

This thread: