LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

From: "Dave & Jane Kearney" <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 17:16:29 -0500

Mike, Walt, et al, I had a very mixed, but ultimately frustrating experience with newspaperarchive.com. I did find a number of good newspaper references to family, especially from small town newspapers, but, over time, there were several times when I had a “hit,” but the newspaper wouldn’t come up. When I wrote to the company’s customer service to report or inquire a broken connection, I typically received no response at all. I finally escalated my tone a bit and wrote that I thought they should at least respond to customer inquiries – and they finally wrote back that they were cancelling my membership. I wrote back again to say that I hadn’t asked them to do that, only to respond, but I didn’t hear back again (and they did cancel the membership).

One reason I ramped up my inquiries is that I had read that they had gotten a lot of complaints for not delivering and not cancelling when requested. I imagine they had been burned a bit and now are quick, or maybe even too quick, to cancel.

I also saw something recently suggesting the company maybe has been made over a bit, maybe with new ownership, but I don’t know if that’s true.

Again, I did get a fair amount of valuable information through them – I maybe should have been more patient, but it is frustrating to have paid for the service, to be getting direct hits for family members, and then, over a period of many months, the link doesn’t work and the company doesn’t respond to inquiries.

Dave