LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS > 2013-01 > 1357489714

From: "Terry Phillips-Seitz" <>
Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:28:34 -0500
References: <1357418072.9516.YahooMailNeo@web161506.mail.bf1.yahoo.com><E3A8637A-569A-4F02-99DA-B63D583E4BD7@roadrunner.com><C2408EF5EA2445E5B29B4592AE1D9FE2@DavidHP><1357425428.60944.YahooMailNeo@web161502.mail.bf1.yahoo.com><1357426141.87572.YahooMailNeo@web161504.mail.bf1.yahoo.com><C47B854F-1BE1-4309-B7F7-54BE01575BD2@gmail.com><CAPuwg9eFFRJf7gG+p0BV2n7gHdoVhnw2Zz=H7FZYnkpWXScScw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAPuwg9eFFRJf7gG+p0BV2n7gHdoVhnw2Zz=H7FZYnkpWXScScw@mail.gmail.com>

Has anyone had any success with the records from the Bi-State Weekly,
published in Delmar, the State Register, published in Laurel, or the
Tri-State Journal, also (I think) published in Laurel. I believe their
records eventually were absorbed by a regional publishing group in Milton
(maybe Milford), DE.

These weekly papers were great resources for birth, death and other social
notices for the local area. I have an assortment of clippings that were
kept by my mother over the years, but can get nowhere when I try to access
them online.

Terry

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Frank
Collins
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com

www.ancestry.com and www.newspaperarchive.com have mostly the same
newspapers. On Maryland's Eastern Shore they both have the Denton Journal
(1870-1965), and the Salisbury Times (1929-1975), and the Salisbury Daily
Times (1964-1977). If you have www.ancestry.com, you do not need
www.newspaperarchive.com.

I like www.genealogybank.com because it has more newspapers and can be
searched more easily. It has the early Easton newspapers, the Chestertown
newspaper and quite a number from Baltimore.

The Maryland Archives also has newspapers online.
They are free, but the site does not have OCR search capability.

Paper of Record also has some newspapers. But the site has not been
maintained. You may still be able to get a free a account to search a few
newspapers. They have a very limited selection from Cambridge and have part
of a Baltimore paper.

Frank

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Mccavityscat <> wrote:
> I too have had an unsatisfactory experience with newspaperarchive.com, but
it's been so long that I can't remember the details. I just know that I
wasn't impressed. For newspaper records, I much prefer genealogyBank.com. I
have found some real gems there.
> Judy W. in Dallas
> On Jan 5, 2013, at 4:49 PM, -Mike- <> wrote:
>> Dave-
>> I also forgot to mention, what made me have concern about
newspaperarchive.com to start with is, no where can you find their
subscription rates online. I have not found it ANYWHERE!!..
>> ________________________________
>> From: -Mike- <>
>> To: Dave & Jane Kearney <>;
>> ""
>> <>
>> Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:37 PM
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
>> Dave & all-
>> Several years ago I had the opportunity to utilize the services of
newspaperarchieve.com thru another paid site that lumped several smaller
paid sites together. I was able to abstract many articles from the
Salisbury, MD paper. Items such as my birth announcement, parents wedding &
most of all many, many obituaries. I want to get a 6 month subscription to
both to tie up loose ends on things I may have missed the first time around.
>> Last nite I googled newspaperarchive.com & found a site with several
complaints concerning the newspaper site. The complaints concerned me about
them not answering inquiries or cancelling subscriptions! Only workaround I
can think of is to pay with a credit card I dont use much. When cancel time
comes, call the credit card company & request a new account number.
Specifying that Ive misolaced my card & fear that account could be
compromised!! Then they cant tack on another subscription term with me.
>> Eva, they sent me an email invitation, but you can go to their home page
on ancestry.com & they have it advertised there. If you cant find it, send
me your email & I will forward the email I received to you.
>> ________________________________
>> From: Dave & Jane Kearney <>
>> To: -Mike- <>;
>> Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:16 PM
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
>> Mike, Walt, et al, I had a very mixed, but ultimately frustrating
>> experience with newspaperarchive.com. I did find a number of good
>> newspaper references to family, especially from small town
>> newspapers, but, over time, there were several times when I had a
>> "hit," but the newspaper wouldn't come up. When I wrote to the
>> company's customer service to report or inquire a broken connection,
>> I typically received no response at all. I finally escalated my tone
>> a bit and wrote that I thought they should at least respond to customer
inquiries - and they finally wrote back that they were cancelling my
membership.
>> I wrote back again to say that I hadn't asked them to do that, only
>> to respond, but I didn't hear back again (and they did cancel the
membership).
>> One reason I ramped up my inquiries is that I had read that they had
>> gotten a lot of complaints for not delivering and not cancelling when
>> requested. I imagine they had been burned a bit and now are quick, or
>> maybe even too quick, to cancel.
>> I also saw something recently suggesting the company maybe has been
>> made over a bit, maybe with new ownership, but I don't know if that's
>> true.
>> Again, I did get a fair amount of valuable information through them -
>> I maybe should have been more patient, but it is frustrating to have
>> paid for the service, to be getting direct hits for family members,
>> and then, over a period of many months, the link doesn't work and the
>> company doesn't respond to inquiries.
>> Dave
>> From: Corinne West
>> Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 4:15 PM
>> To: -Mike- ;
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry &
>> nespaperarchive.com
>> I've
>> subscribed to Ancestry's U.S. edition as long as I've been
>> researching genealogy. I Have on occasion also subscribed to the
>> World membership but have recently cancelled that portion of my
>> membership. I have never had a problem unsubscribing and they
>> cheerfully cancel your membership on a pro rata basis.
>> Walt west
>> On Jan 5, 2013, at 3:34 PM, -Mike-
>> <> wrote:
>>> Happy New Year Fellow
>> Listers!
>>>
>>> It's been awhile since I had an Ancestry.com
>> subscription & they are offering a reduced rate for a 6 month
>> subscription thru tomorrow evening. Im considering joining for the
reduced rate period only.
>>>
>>> Im wondering has anyone had any issues trying to unsubscribe
>> from them, as they automatically resubscribe you? Also, Ive read
>> online that newspaperarchive.com is impossible to unsubscribe from?
>> Anyone have similar unsubscribing experiences with either??
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Mike
>> Adkins
>>> ***************************************
>>> QUESTIONS about
>> POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>>> Visit The Lower
>> DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please
>> send an email to with the
>> word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
>> the message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about
>> POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa
>> Roots Mailing List
>> FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To
>> unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> ***************************************
> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

***************************************
QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe'
without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message