LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > LOWER-DELMARVA-ROOTS > 2013-01 > 1357497639

From:
Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:40:39 -0500 (EST)

On Ancestry.com, I find only the following years for the Salisbury Times:
1913 (only 9 days), 1941-45, 1953-64, and 1975.

Many of the years available are incomplete, e.g., 1941 has only 15 days of
December representing the entire year. 1942, 43 and 45 have 6 months
available but again, only a limited number of days in each month are online.

In a message dated 1/5/2013 7:04:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

www.ancestry.com and www.newspaperarchive.com have mostly the same
newspapers. On Maryland's Eastern Shore they both have the Denton
Journal (1870-1965), and the Salisbury Times (1929-1975), and the
Salisbury Daily Times (1964-1977). If you have www.ancestry.com, you
do not need www.newspaperarchive.com.

I like www.genealogybank.com because it has more newspapers and can be
searched more easily. It has the early Easton newspapers, the
Chestertown newspaper and quite a number from Baltimore.

The Maryland Archives also has newspapers online.
They are free, but the site does not have OCR search capability.

Paper of Record also has some newspapers. But the site has not been
maintained. You may still be able to get a free a account to search a
few newspapers. They have a very limited selection from Cambridge and
have part of a Baltimore paper.

Frank

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Mccavityscat <>
wrote:
> I too have had an unsatisfactory experience with newspaperarchive.com,
but it's been so long that I can't remember the details. I just know that I
wasn't impressed. For newspaper records, I much prefer genealogyBank.com. I
have found some real gems there.
> Judy W. in Dallas
> On Jan 5, 2013, at 4:49 PM, -Mike- <> wrote:
>> Dave-
>> I also forgot to mention, what made me have concern about
newspaperarchive.com to start with is, no where can you find their subscription rates
online. I have not found it ANYWHERE!!..
>> ________________________________
>> From: -Mike- <>
>> To: Dave & Jane Kearney <>;
"" <>
>> Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:37 PM
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
>> Dave & all-
>> Several years ago I had the opportunity to utilize the services of
newspaperarchieve.com thru another paid site that lumped several smaller paid
sites together. I was able to abstract many articles from the Salisbury, MD
paper. Items such as my birth announcement, parents wedding & most of all
many, many obituaries. I want to get a 6 month subscription to both to tie
up loose ends on things I may have missed the first time around.
>> Last nite I googled newspaperarchive.com & found a site with several
complaints concerning the newspaper site. The complaints concerned me about
them not answering inquiries or cancelling subscriptions! Only workaround I
can think of is to pay with a credit card I dont use much. When cancel
time comes, call the credit card company & request a new account number.
Specifying that Ive misolaced my card & fear that account could be compromised!!
Then they cant tack on another subscription term with me.
>> Eva, they sent me an email invitation, but you can go to their home
page on ancestry.com & they have it advertised there. If you cant find it,
send me your email & I will forward the email I received to you.
>> ________________________________
>> From: Dave & Jane Kearney <>
>> To: -Mike- <>;

>> Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 5:16 PM
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry & nespaperarchive.com
>> Mike, Walt, et al, I had a very mixed, but ultimately
>> frustrating experience with newspaperarchive.com. I did find a number
of good
>> newspaper references to family, especially from small town newspapers,
but, over
>> time, there were several times when I had a “hit,” but the newspaper
wouldn’t
>> come up. When I wrote to the company’s customer service to report or
inquire a
>> broken connection, I typically received no response at all. I finally
escalated
>> my tone a bit and wrote that I thought they should at least respond to
customer
>> inquiries – and they finally wrote back that they were cancelling my
membership.
>> I wrote back again to say that I hadn’t asked them to do that, only to
respond,
>> but I didn’t hear back again (and they did cancel the membership).
>> One reason I ramped up my inquiries is that I had read that
>> they had gotten a lot of complaints for not delivering and not
cancelling when
>> requested. I imagine they had been burned a bit and now are quick, or
maybe even
>> too quick, to cancel.
>> I also saw something recently suggesting the company maybe has
>> been made over a bit, maybe with new ownership, but I don’t know if that
’s
>> true.
>> Again, I did get a fair amount of valuable information through
>> them – I maybe should have been more patient, but it is frustrating to
have paid
>> for the service, to be getting direct hits for family members, and
then, over a
>> period of many months, the link doesn’t work and the company doesn’t
respond to
>> inquiries.
>> Dave
>> From: Corinne West
>> Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 4:15 PM
>> To: -Mike- ;
>> Subject: Re: [LDR] Ancestry &
>> nespaperarchive.com
>> I've
>> subscribed to Ancestry's U.S. edition as long as I've been researching
>> genealogy. I Have on occasion also subscribed to the World membership
but have
>> recently cancelled that portion of my membership. I have never had a
problem
>> unsubscribing and they cheerfully cancel your membership on a pro rata
>> basis.
>> Walt west
>> On Jan 5, 2013, at 3:34 PM, -Mike-
>> <> wrote:
>>> Happy New Year Fellow
>> Listers!
>>>
>>> It's been awhile since I had an Ancestry.com
>> subscription & they are offering a reduced rate for a 6 month
subscription
>> thru tomorrow evening. Im considering joining for the reduced rate
period only.
>>>
>>> Im wondering has anyone had any issues trying to unsubscribe
>> from them, as they automatically resubscribe you? Also, Ive read online
that
>> newspaperarchive.com is impossible to unsubscribe from? Anyone have
similar
>> unsubscribing experiences with either??
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Mike
>> Adkins
>>> ***************************************
>>> QUESTIONS about
>> POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>>> Visit The Lower
>> DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please
>> send an email to with the word
>> 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
>> message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about
>> POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa
>> Roots Mailing List
>> FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To
>> unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the
>> message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
the subject and the body of the message
>> ***************************************
>> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
>> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
>> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
the subject and the body of the message
> ***************************************
> QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
> Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ:
> http://www.tyaskin.com/handley/ldrfaq.htm
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
the subject and the body of the message

***************************************
QUESTIONS about POSTING GUIDELINES, SUBSCRIBING or UNSUBSCRIBING?
Visit The Lower DelMarVa Roots Mailing List FAQ: