LUMBEE-L Archives

Archiver > LUMBEE > 2007-11 > 1194648046

From: bj berrykeeper <>
Subject: Re: [LUMBEE] Henry Berry Lowry and the Physician who pronounced himdead........
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:40:46 -0800 (PST)

Another version of this story is, that the doctor was a friend of the family and pronounced Henry Berry Lowry dead, but he wasn't. I have to ask myself, since there was a huge bounty to anyone who turned in the body of Henry Berry Lowry, and the reward was never collected, which story is true.
bj

Gloria Holback <> wrote:
I have a copy of a notorized paper that belonged to
the Doctor who was taken to the site of Henry Berry
Lowry's death near Lumberton. The body was buried in
an unmarked gravesite and he did die from gunshot
wounds. The family name of the Doctor was McArthur
and Mr. McArthur had moved from North Carolina to
Florida and I met him during the 1990s and he gave me
the copy of the notorized copy of his ancestors
statment regarding Henry Berry Lowry's death.

So he never made it out of Robeson County and his body
was never found and the legend lived on.

Gloria

--- "O'Briant, Catherine" wrote:

> The Landmark Newspaper, Statesville, NC--Mar 03,
> 1905
>
> HISTORY OF A NOTED OUTLAW by D. P. Heath, Harmony,
> N. C.
> Mr Heath Writes About Henry Berry Lowery--Time and
> Place of His Death.
> Correspondence of The Landmark.
> Anent what has been published in regard to Henry
> Berry Lowery, the noted
> outlaw chief, being in Mexico, I find the following
> in the "The Lowery
> History," written shortly after his death, February
> 20, 1872:
> Early on the morning of February 20, 1872, between
> daylight and sunrise, the
> whole band of outlaws returned to the louse of Tom
> Lowery after their raid
> on Lumberton, having on the previous night entered
> the store of Messrs. Pope
> & McLeod, and abstracted therefrom an iron safe, and
> proceeding thence to
> the court house and entering the sheriff's office
> and taking his iron safe,
> proceeded forthwith to leave Lumberton by the
> turnpike road. Finding the
> load too heavy they dropped the sheriff's safe on
> the streets of Lumberton
> and went on with the safe of Pope & McLeod to a
> distance of about three
> miles and rifled it of the whole of its contents,
> getting in all about $22
> 000. The band then wended its way to the house of
> Tom Lowery, in Scuffletown
> and being fearful of pursuit, built up a fire near
> the crib of Tom Lowery
> and commenced fixing their firearms in case they
> should be attacked by any
> party in pursuit of them; and here the outlaw chief,
> Henry Berry Lowery,
> terminated his own earthly career.
> While attempting to draw a load out of his
> double-barrel gun the gun slipped
> in his hand, the hammer of one of the barrels struck
> against the sill of the
> crib and the gun went off the load taking effect in
> Henry Berry Lowery's
> face and forehead, tearing away his nose and the
> greater portion of his
> forehead. He died almost instantly. Preparations
> were set on foot
> immediately for his burial. A party of mulattoes
> went to the saw mill of
> Arch. Buie for lumber. When the lumber was obtained
> Jesse Oxendine, a
> carpenter, was called in and made the coffin, the
> other outlaws standing
> guard all the time. When all was ready the remains
> of the dead robber chief
> were temporarily placed in a shallow grave under Tom
> Lowery's crib. On the
> following night, near midnight, the remaining
> outlaws took up the body,
> carried it off and buried it, where, in all
> probability, no white man will
> ever find out.
> Thus passed away this remarkable bandit, in his 26th
> year--the greatest
> [...]

"What good is knowledge if not shared?"

"A person should think with his heart". Sun Bear 1890