LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-02 > 1044888435

From: "Gordon A. Watts" <>
Subject: [LL] Post 1901 Census - More from Senator Milne
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:47:15 -0800

Greetings All.

Forwarded FYI.

Gordon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul, Jeff: SEN" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 6:10 AM
Subject: [CCC] S-13 Issues

Good morning everyone:

I hope that you all had a relaxing weekend and are ready to sit on
the edge of your seats as debate on bill S-13 gets under way in the
Senate
chamber this week. I want to start by thanking everyone for your time
and
input on all of the issues that this bill raises. You can rest assured
that
Sen. Milne is personally seeing all of the emails that are being posted
on
the listserve and she has a firm handle on what is concerning everyone.
think that Gordon has hit the nail on the head with each and every one
of
his postings so far, and his comments have been most helpful.

I want to take a minute or two to hit on a couple of the points that
were raised in the various posts since Thursday night.

First of all, Alf from Vancouver asked whether anyone has done any
research on complaints regarding the 1901 and 1906 census releases on
line.
As of late Friday afternoon when I talked with the National Archivist,
no
complaints had been received by him about ANY historic census, let alone
the
latest releases online.

Many have raised the concern that we may not be able to index the
census until the 112 years are up. I must admit that is a very good
question, and it is something that we will try to get addressed in the
hearings that will take place on this bill. That having been said, I
take a
slightly different view of the work being done by those who are indexing
the
census. I would not categorize those people as genealogists. I believe
they would fall into the category of historian. They would be able to
get
approval to do their work, and then they could index the tombstone
information that may be released between 92 and 112 years. That's just
my
take on the matter.

Another seemed quite concerned that it would not be possible to hire
someone to do census research for you. You can rest assured that under
(4)(a) of this bill specific reference is made to those who do research
for
others, and that is specifically permitted under the bill. If you do
not
have access to the census records, but need that access, you are allowed
hire or ask someone to do the work. No problems at all.

I have a couple of comments on the study that is going to be done by
the committee on the bill. First of all, I learned late on Friday
afternoon
that Cathy Piccinin is no longer the clerk of the committee. The new
clerk
is Lyn Gravelle. If you have already sent stuff to Cathy that is fine
because she her new job is Policy Advisor to the chair of the committee
that
will study the bill. In any event it will all get into the right hands.
>From now on, though, you can address information to Lyn Gravelle, or
even
better, just address it to the clerk of the committee. The email
address
for the committee is:
Finally, there is no need to wait on the submissions. They can come
at any time. If you send them to the clerk alone, she will coordinate
them
and send them in pacakages to all of the members of the Social Affairs
Committee along with the bill and any other work that is being done on
the
bill. Sending the goods to the clerk is the best thing to do as that
ensures that it won't get lost in the shuffle.

I hope that this helps. Thanks once again for all of your comments,
keep them coming!

Jeff Paul
Policy Advisor
Office of the Hon. Lorna Milne