LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-02 > 1045249888

From: "Gordon A. Watts" <>
Subject: [LL] Post 1901 Census - The "Undertaking"
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:11:28 -0800

Greetings all.

I have just got off the phone from Jeff Paul in Senator Milne's office.
One topic of discussion was the proposed "undertaking" mentioned in Bill
S-13. Jeff has been trying to obtain permission to post the
"undertaking" on the lists but he has so far been unable to do so. He
did, however, read it to me.

Other than the fact that I see no need for either the non-disclosure of
any information beyond the mandated period of closure (currently 92
years), or for the need of any "undertaking" at all, I did not find it
to be onorous or highly restrictive. From my memory of what was read to
me, the "undertaking" would be something along the lines of the
following:

" I _____(name)______ make application for access to records of the
__(year)__ Census.

I am conducting __(genealogical / historical)___ research.

I agree not to disclose, during the period of 92 years to 112 years
after collection, any information from these records other than the
following: Name, Address, Age (or birthdate), Sex, Marital Status,
Origin, and Occupation.

I agree not to infringe on any Copyright relating to these records.

I am aware of the penalties for violation of this undertaking.

Signed ___________________ Date _______________ "

Do not hold me to the exact wording, but this is the jist of what the
"undertaking" would be.

There would also be a very minor form specifying permission for someone
to do research on behalf of another person.

While the so-called "compromise solution" of Ivan Fellegi defined
"family" very narrowly as "a direct descendant of a direct ancestor",
there is no such definition attached to Bill S-13. In a Legislative
Summary available to MPs and Senators there are a number of questions
and answers relating to the Census issue and Bill S-13. One of those
questions relates to a definition of 'family' for purposes of research.
The answer was that 'family' would include anyone connected by blood,
marriage, or adoption. That pretty well covers every possibility.

There have been many concerns expressed on the lists regarding what the
"undertaking" would entail. I hope that this information helps to
relieve any anxieties regarding it.

Happy Hunting.

Gordon A. Watts
Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee