LUNEN-LINKS-L ArchivesArchiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-02 > 1046196859
Subject: [LL] Tern Schooner Fieldwood
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:14:19 EST
The Fieldwood was a tern schooner of 435 tons built by Lockwood and
Fielding at Canning, N.S. and launched in 1920. It was the last of close to
100 barques, ships and schooners and other vessels built at the Bigelow
family shipyard in Canning. The Fieldwood had a long career and operated
between Nova Scotia, the Caribbean and Britain until 1938 when it foundered
south of Sable Island. Many of the tern schooners built at Canning,
Parrsboro, Port Greville, and other ports in the Bay of Fundy had Masters and
crews from the Lunenburg area.
The residents of Canning formed the Fieldwood Heritage Society, named
after this schooner.