LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-02 > 1046370965

From: Sandy Wooden <>
Subject: [LL] [Fwd: RE: [NS-L] Fw: [nsroots] Help create a free index to the 1901 Census! Or just viewthe work so far!]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:36:05 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [NS-L] Fw: [nsroots] Help create a free index to
the 1901 Census! Or just viewthe work so far!
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:43:19 -0500
From: "Arthur G Broadhurst" <>

I do not understand why that announcement was made on this
list. The
email below to which I am responding seems to imply that this
is a
project of volunteers and that therefore it should be
supported. I
assume that a project by volunteers is for the benefit of all,
but that
does not seem to be the case if you search their site. It
appears to be
a "pay for services" commercial site, that is, it appears to
be a
commercial site seeking free labor of others for which it can
then
charge. It requests that you upload your database to the site
for a
"free trial" of its services. Then if you pursue some of the
links you
find out that after the free trial (and after you have already
uploaded
your database so they have your information), you get a fee
schedule.
If I am wrong about this I will stand corrected, but it sure
looks to me
like they are not only commercial, but they attempt to conceal
that fact
until they already have an individual's data. And I sure
don't
understand why anyone would supply free labor for the profit
of an
entrepreneur. Am I wrong about this site?

Arthur G Broadhurst
Vero Beach, Florida

".researching BROADHURST anywhere.."
Surname Website: http://www.broadhurst-family.org