LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-06 > 1054807981

From: "Hubley, Ken" <>
Subject: [LL] Extract from the BB / LPE - 03/15/00
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 06:13:01 -0400

Dear Lunies:

For your information and use, please find below the milestones for the week
of March 15th, 2000 from the subject newspapers.

Hope this helps someone in the search for their families. Please advise off
list, if this has helped you.

Best regards,
Ken

Bridgewater Bulletin / Lunenburg Progress Enterprise
week of March 15, 2000

GRADUATIONS

Congratulations
Jennifer
Jennifer Amos BSc, Dalhousie 1998, is currently employed at Fernz Sulfur
Works, Airdrie, Alberta. She recently was promoted to Environmental Officer.
Jennifer is the daughter of Ed and Sandra Amos, Farmington.

BIRTHS

Drew Frank of Pine Grove is proud to announce the arrival of his baby sister
Delaney Paige, born February 18, 2000 at the South Shore Regional Hospital,
weighing 6 lbs. 14 ozs. Proud parents Kevin and Mary would like to thank Dr.
Jorgensen and Dr. Mathisen for the safe delivery of Delaney, the OBS clinic
for their efficiency, and the fourth floor nurses for their wonderful care.
Special thanks to family and friends for their visits, cards, flowers and
gifts. Proud grandparents are Faye and Joseph Frank of Bridgewater, and Ruth
and Vernon Veinot of New Germany. Great-grandmother is Mary Robar of North
River.
MCGINNIS: Chris and Andrea (nee Blenus) are pleased to announce the birth of
their second child, Lindsey Kathleen, a sister for Laura, born February 11,
2000 at the South Shore Regional Hospital weighing 7 lbs. 8 ozs.
Lindsey is the 3rd grandchild for Lloyd and Sylvia Blenus, Blockhouse, and
the 10th for David and Angela McGinnis of Bridgewater.
Special thanks to Dr. Guptil, Trish and Gwen for helping with Lindsey's
arrival.

DEATH NOTICES

Douglas William Hubley - 62, of Wileville, died March 6, 2000 in the South
Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.

Maxwell Leon Oickle - 85, of Branch LaHave, died March 7, 2000 in the
Victoria General Hospital, Halifax. Funeral arrangements under the direction
of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.

Frank Wesley Anderson - 65, of Hebbville, died March 7, 2000 in the South
Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.

Leilah Cecelia Blackadar - Wentzell Lake, died March 9, 2000 in the South
Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.

Rita Gertrude Telfer - 85, of Bridgewater, died March 8, 2000 in the South
Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.

John Frederick Simonds - 70, of Lunenburg, died March 4, 2000 at home.
Funeral arrangements under the direction of the Dana L. Sweeny Funeral Home,
Lunenburg.

Capt. Orlando John Lace - 74, of Lunenburg, died March 10, 2000 at the
Fishermen's Memorial Hospital, Lunenburg. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of the Dana L. Sweeny Funeral Home, Lunenburg.

Margaret May (Tiny) Betts - 93, of Lunenburg, died March 10, 2000 at Harbour
View Haven Home for Special Care, Lunenburg. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of the Dana L. Sweeny Funeral Home, Lunenburg.

Donald Lee Bernard Wamboldt - 47, of Eastern Passage, formerly of Italy
Cross, died March 10, 2000 in Dartmouth General Hospital, Dartmouth. Funeral
arrangements under the direction of R.A. Corkum Funeral Home, Wileville.

Shirley Jean Hermen - 73, of Pleasant River, died March 9, 2000 in South
Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater. Funeral arrangements under the
direction of R.A. Corkum Funeral Home, Wileville.

OBITUARIES

2000
Eric Carlton Taylor
TAYLOR, Eric Carlton - 71, LaBelle, died February 20, 2000, in the New
Halifax Infirmary, QEII, Halifax. Born in Newcombville, he was a son of the
late Steadman and Alice (Wile) Taylor.
Surviving are his wife Maxine (McKinnon); son Brenton, Conquerall Mills;
daughters Trudy Lewis, Halifax; Nadine Croft, Camperdown; Bonnie Crouse,
Colpton; stepdaughters, Judy VonWahl, Stratford, Ontario; Gayle Zinck,
Newcombville: 10 grandchildren; two step-grandchildren; five
great-grandchildren; sister Shirley Wells, Pentz. He was predeceased by his
brothers Blake, Warren and Lewis; sisters Arlean, Myrtle, Audrey and Ruby.
Visitation was held February 21, followed by cremation. A memorial service
was held 1:30 p.m., February 23 in the chapel, Rev. Willis Ott officiating.
Burial followed in Newcombville Cemetery. Family flowers only. Donations to
any charity.
CARD OF THANKS
We, the family of the late Eric Taylor would like to express our sincere
thanks and appreciation in sharing our grief. Sincere thanks for the
charitable donations to the family and other organizations, cards, flowers,
food and phone calls. Special thanks to the doctors and nurses at the ICU
5.2, Halifax Infirmary, Sweeny's Funeral Home, and Rev. Willis Ott. Also, a
special thanks to Ruby Garber, Edwin, Muriel Naugler and family. There are
no words to express our sincerest feelings.
Maxine Taylor and family

Beverly Ross Sarty
Beverly Ross Sarty, 66, Auburndale, passed away February 18, 2000 at the New
Halifax Infirmary, QEII. He was the only child of the late Calvin and
Margaret (Bruhm) Sarty.
He is survived by his wife, the former Doreen Hubley; sons Gary and wife
Tracey, Bridgewater; Graham and wife Christine, Conquerall Mills; daughter
Patricia, Auburndale; grandchildren, Ryan and Ashley, Conquerall Mills. He
was predeceased by an infant son.
A graveside service was held 11 a.m. Wednesday, February 23, 2000 in the
Brookside Cemetery, Bridgewater, Rev. William Gustafson officiating. Funeral
arrangements were under the direction of Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.
Flowers - gates ajar from immediate family. Memorial donations, too many to
acknowledge individually were made to VON, Lunenburg County Branch; Heart
and Stroke Foundation; Kidney Foundation of Canada; Canadian Cancer Society;
St. Paul's Lutheran Church; All Saints Lutheran Church; Health Services
Foundation; and donations to the family.
CARD OF THANKS
The family of the late Beverly Sarty wishes to express our heartfelt thanks
to all those who have helped us through a very difficult time. We would like
to thank each and everyone for the many sympathy cards, memorial donations,
phone calls, visits from friends and neighbours, food brought to our homes,
and the help for preparing and serving food for and after the service.
Special thanks to Rev. Gustafson, and Sweeny's Funeral Home, Bridgewater.
Your kindness was greatly appreciated and we thank you all.
Doreen, Gary, Graham,
Patricia and families

Earl Edward Oickle
June 11, 1924 - February 18, 2000
Earl passed away peacefully at the Veterans' Unit of the Fishermen's
Memorial Hospital with nieces Carol (Stan) Dagley, Nellie (Purvis) Naugler
at his side.
Born in Mahone Bay, he was the son of the late Jason and Ellnora (Oickle)
Oickle. He was a veteran of the Second World War, serving in the Merchant
Marine. He also worked for many years as chef in Ontario and Nova Scotia. He
also owned a restaurant at one time in Mahone Bay.
Surviving are sisters Grace (Harris) Murphy, Hubbards; Jean Robar,
Bridgewater; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by wife
Emmy; sisters Arline, Violet, Dorothy, Marie, Ruth and Pearl a sister
(Olive) in infancy; brothers Maurice and Wilfred; foster parents Leigh and
Hilda Wentzell.
Following cremation, a graveside service was held February 25, 2000 at the
Maple Grove Cemetery, West Northfield, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, with
Rev. Willis Ott officiating.
Floral tributes:
Casket spray - niece Carol, Stan and family; basket - nephew Grant and
Vicki, Brianna and Tyler; niece Valerie, Scott and Zachary; niece Donna,
Ricky, Gregory and Leslie Anne.
Memorial donations were made to Veterans' Unit of the Fishermen's Memorial
Hospital, Alzheimer's Society of Nova Scotia, and the Maple Gove Cemetery.
CARD OF THANKS
We, the family of the late Earl Oickle would like to express their many
thanks to relatives and friends for their support through the loss of our
loved one. Special thanks to the staff of the Veterans' Unit, Lunenburg, who
lovingly cared for him the last 18 months. Thanks for the flowers, memorial
donations, also for the visits, phone calls, food to our home, and for the
many cards received, all much appreciated. Special thanks also to Pastor Ott
and Sweeny's Funeral Home for their help and support.
God Bless all
Niece Carol and family

Florence L. Mailman
Florence Lenora Mailman, 99, New Germany, passed away February 4, 2000 at
Rosedale Home for Special Care, New Germany. Born in Mader's Cove, she was
the oldest child of the late George Enos and Effie (Ramey) Hamm. She was
married to the late Donald Mailman and lived in Hemford during her married
life. She was a member of the Lutheran Church and a faithful choir member at
the Union Church in Hemford. During her career as a teacher, she taught in
the Ninevah, Hemford, New Germany and surrounding areas of Lunenburg County
for about 50 years. For the past 15 years she resided at Rosedale Home for
Special Care.
She was predeceased by her husband Donald; sister Ruby Dorey; brother
Bernard. She is survived by niece Carolyn Knickle, Lunenburg and
sister-in-law and brother-in-law Beatrice and Eugene Veinot, Hemford,
nieces-in-law Sonia Veinot, Simpson's Corner and Sandra MacQuarrie, Pleasant
River.
Funeral service was held at Langille's Funeral Home, New Germany, on
February 7, 2000 with Rev. Ted Heinze officiating. Interment followed at
Hemford Community Cemetery. Pallbearers were Hector and Jeffrey MacQuarrie,
Lloyd Smith, Henry Saulnier, Avon Joudrey and Roy Fuller. A memorial service
was held at Rosedale Home for Special Care on February 8.
Flowers were given from her immediate family. Memorial donations were made
to Rosedale Home for Special Care, Canadian Cancer Society, Hemford
Community Cemetery, Emmanuel United Church, Hemford and Calvary Lutheran
Church, Upper Northfield.
CARD OF THANKS
The family of the late Florence Mailman wish to express sincere appreciation
to all who participated in the services held in her memory. A special
thank-you to Rev. Ted Heinze for his visits, his kind words, and to Crystal
Leary for her very appropriate eulogy. Thanks also go to those who gave
memoriams, cards and other expressions of sympathy, and to Langille's
Funeral Home for their assistance. Our greatest gratitude goes to the staff
at Rosedale Home for Special Care for their excellent care and friendship,
and for acting as her extended family for the last 15 years.
Carolyn, Beatrice, Eugene and families

Irene Mae Emino
Irene Emino 68, of New Germany formerly of Simpson's Corner, died Sunday,
February 6, 2000 at the South Shore Regional Hospital. She was the daughter
of the late Ira & Verna (Hyson) Snyder. Her husband Garfield Emino
predeceased her in January 1984.
She was a member of Epworth United Church, New Germany and before her
illness she was an active member of the Simpson's Corner Community Club. She
will be sadly missed by family and friends.
She is survived by daughters Donna and husband Mervyn Mossman, New Germany;
Janet and husband Raeburn Illingworth; Mary Ann and husband Laurie Saulnier,
Simpson's Corner; Dianne and husband Franklyn Eisener, Bedford; 10
grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren; sisters Marion, Mrs. Norman Hill,
New Germany; Shirley, Mrs. Ellison Leary, Simpson's Corner; brothers Roland
Snyder, Northfield; Bryden and Allen Snyder, Watford. She was predeceased by
two brothers Maxwell and Russell, and three sisters Harriet, Verna and
Maxine.
The body rested at Langille's Funeral Home, New Germany and funeral service
was held February 9, 2000 from Epworth United Church with Don McFadden L.T.
officiating. Hymns sung were "Will Your Anchor Hold" and "He Touched Me."
Interment was in Hillside Cemetery, Simpson's Corner. Pallbearers were
nephews James, Jerry, Curtis, Scott Snyder, and Andy and Jerry Nowe.
Floral Tributes: Casket Spray-daughters and husbands, lid spray
grandchildren, roses in hand great-grandchildren. Basket-Brothers & Sisters,
arrangement Myles and Darlene and Simpson's Corner Community Club. Memorial
donations were made to Epworth United Church, Emmanuel Church, Hillside
Cemetery, N.G.A. Medical Centre, Diabetes Association, Health Services
Foundation, Epworth Stained Glass Fund, Epworth U.C.W. Fund and VON.
CARD OF THANKS
The family of the late Irene Emino would like to thank our relatives, family
and friends through this difficult time. I (Donna) would like to express my
thanks to Goldie my mother-in-law, Joanne and Diane for looking after
getting things ready at the house after the funeral and also we would like
to thank anyone else who helped in any way. We'd like to especially thank
Dr. Barss, Dr. Nestal and the nurses and staff on the 3rd floor at the South
Shore Regional Hospital for their excellent care they gave mom while she was
a patient there. Thanks for the many sympathy cards too numerous to answer
individually, also the memorial donations, monetary donations, flowers,
phone calls and food brought to the house. Your kindness will always be
treasured. Special thanks to Don McFadden L.T. for his visits and prayers,
the organist, choir and especially Barry at Langille's Funeral Home.
May God Bless You All
Donna, Janet, Mary Ann,
Dianne and families

Maurice Obediah Varner
Maurice Obediah Varner, 79 years, of Copeland Road, Lunenburg County, Nova
Scotia, died Tuesday, October 26, 1999 at Rosedale Home for Special Care,
New Germany, Lunenburg County. Born in Stanburne, Lunenburg County, he was
the son of the late Kenneth Aaron Varner and the late Ida P. (Veinot)
Varner. He served as a member of the Pictou Highlanders CA during the Second
World War. He worked as a farmer and woodsman during his life.
He is survived by his wife, the former Ruby Pearl Joudrey, Rosedale Home for
Special Care, New Germany; daughters Margaret (Mrs. Douglas Selig), Simpsons
Corner; Wilma (Mrs. Gene Veinotte), East Dalhousie; Ivy Varner, Copeland
Road; sons Charles and Lavinia Young, Pleasant River; Kenneth and Christine,
East Dalhousie; Steven, East LaHave; Carol and Donna, Chester; a brother
Homer and Marjorie, Stanburne; 19 grandchildren. He was predeceased by
daughters, a baby girl, and Faye; sisters Cora and Lydia.
Funeral arrangements were held at Langille's Funeral Home, with burial at
Epworth Cemetery, New Germany, Rev. Gloria McClure-Fraser officiating.

Owen William Cantelope
Owen William Cantelope, 89, of Lunenburg, died Friday, March 3, 2000 at
Harbour View Haven Home for Special Care, Lunenburg. Born in Northwest, he
was the son of the late Anthony and Mae (Dauphinee) Cantelope.
In his earlier years he went to work for Zwicker and Company, Lunenburg and
later then went to work for the Town of Lunenburg until his retirement. Owen
was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, and also a member of the male choir.
He was the last surviving member of his immediate family.
He is survived by his wife, the former Bertha Lohnes; son Clyde and his wife
Gwen, Bible Hill; two grandchildren Kimberly and husband Ron DeSilva,
Cornwall, Ontario; Krista and husband Glynn Hinton, Coburg, Ontario; four
great-grandchildren, Matthew, Samatha DeSilva, Mackenzie and Gavin Hinton.
He was predeceased by two brothers, Star and Dawson.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of the Dana L. Sweeny Funeral
Home, 11213 #3 Hwy., Lunenburg. Funeral service was held Monday, March 6,
2000 from Zion Lutheran Church, Lunenburg, Rev. Douglas Moore officiated.
Interment was in Hillcrest Cemetery, Lunenburg. In lieu of flowers, memorial
donations may be made to Zion Lutheran Church or to any charity.
CARD OF THANKS
We, the family of Owen Cantelope would like to express our thanks to our
family and friends for their support during our recent loss. We gratefully
acknowledge the phone calls, sympathy cards, floral tributes, and the
memorial donations to the many organizations. A special thanks to the staff
of Harbour View Haven for their wonderful care of Owen, and the VON Home
Support Services. To organist Annette Collins, the male choir of Zion
Lutheran, the ladies of the fellowship committee who prepared a beautiful
reception, and to the pallbearers who carried Owen to his final resting
place, we simply say thanks. We would especially like to thank Rev. Douglas
Moore for his wonderful support, and to Mike Zinck and staff of the Dana L.
Sweeny Funeral Home. We will always remember your acts of kindness.
Bertha, Clyde and Gwen

William Milton DeMond
1930-2000
On January 26, 2000, William Milton DeMond, 69, of Upper Cornwall passed
away at the South Shore Regional Hospital. Born in Upper Cornwall, he was
the son of the late Guy Milton and Alice Gertrude (Cuthbertson) DeMond.
He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Barbara Madge (Young); daughters
Sonia (Steven), Sharon (Earle); sons William (Kathy), Bernard, Bruce
(Sarah); eight grandsons, six granddaughters; brothers John (Brandon),
Sidney (Winnipeg), Rodger (Union Square), George (Upper Cornwall); sister
Susie Colicchio, Dartmouth; many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a
sister Mary Illingsworth.
William was a retired employee of Bowater Mersey Paper Company, and a member
of the Pinegrove IOOF Lodge #111, New Germany.
Cremation took place under the direction of New Germany Funeral Home, New
Germany. Funeral service was held January 29, 2000, 11 a.m. in St. Paul's
Anglican Church, Union Square, officiating was Rev. Gloria McClure-Fraser.
Burial of ashes in Union Square Cemetery.
CARD OF THANKS
We, the family of the late William DeMond would like to express our sincere
thanks and appreciation to our relatives and friends of their many acts of
kindness in the passing of a special husband, father and grandfather. We
would like to extend our thanks to all who gave donations to the charity
funds, food to the home, flowers, phone calls, visits, money to the family
and sympathy cards, which are all too numerous to mention individually, but
greatly appreciated. Special thanks to all the relatives and friends for
supplying refreshments after the funeral service in the Upper Cornwall
Community Hall. We will always remember and be very grateful for all the
love and support everyone gave us. With many thanks from Barbara and family.

This thread: