LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2003-11 > 1068507912

From: "S.Nelson" <>
Subject: [LL] CROUSE, Capt. Everett Mansfield, W.N.S.R.
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:45:12 -0400

In commemoration - for November 11th, Remembrance Day in Canada and
Veterans' Day in the US.

Would there be anyone on this list who is related to Captain Everett Mansfield
CROUSE, West Nova Scotia Regiment, born 30 Nov 1914 and killed at San Nicola,
Italy on 26 Feb 1944? If there is, they might be interested in the following:

Capt. Crouse was the only son of Wynn Appolis M. Crouse (1885-1951) of Branch
LaHave and Bridgewater, and Pearlie Edith Wile (1879 -1960). His only sister was
Evangeline M. (1910-1953, never married).

On 14 Sep 1939, "Mike" or "Ev" (he was known by both nicknames in my family),
who was a mining apprentice and in the Canadian Militia, joined the West Novies for
active duty as a lieutenant. He went overseas from Halifax in December 1939.

In April 1940 at Farnborough, England, Mike married my maternal aunt, Helen Isobel
Finlay (1917-1980, who was in the W.A.A.F.) from Belfast, N. Ireland. (According to
the history of the West Nova Scotia Regiment by Thomas Raddall, this was the first
marriage of an officer of the Novies). They had no children.

In August 1940, he was promoted to captain.

Like most Canadian soldiers, he spent years in England before seeing action. In
1942 or 1943, his hand was badly injured by a grenade in training and he spent a lot
of time in and out of hospital. In late 1943 he went with the regiment to North Africa
and thence to Italy.

He was listed as missing while out on patrol near San Nicola at the end of February
1944 and finally in November 1944, my aunt and his parents received the official
terse letter of notification of his death. (It truly was a terrible letter with no personal
words at all). He is buried in the beautiful Moro River Canadian War Cemetery at San
Donato (near Ortona), Italy. Plot 9, Row G, Grave 1.

He is commemorated in Canada's Books of Remembrance for the Second World
War on page 283.

The Books website is at:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/books/listing

May I also refresh memories about Canada's Virtual War Memorial at:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

My aunt eventually remarried. She kept Mike's war medals in Northern Ireland. Now
that both she and her husband are gone as of a few months ago, her children have
decided that the medals should come back to Canada. A fitting repatriation for this
month?

Sheevaun Nelson
Lunenburg NS

This thread: