Langley-L Archives

Archiver > Langley > 2005-12 > 1133896651

From: "Raymond Langley" <>
Subject: Re: [Langley] Isham Langley 1805
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:17:31 -0500

This is a little of the research that I have collected especially the
Langley's that intermarried with the Cherokees. Some of those were John,
Lock and children of Noah Langley. I would love to see how all of these
Langleys are connected and I believe they are.
Raymond Langley
BEF. 1800

1790 census North Carolina

Anson County Fayette District

1st # free white males 16 year upwards and head of families

2nd # free white males under 16 years

3rd # free white females and head of families

4th # all other free persons

5th # slaves

Langley, Noah...................................1-0-0-0-0

1797-1799 Tax Digest for Jackson Co., Ga

John M. Langley listed for Jackson and Hancock County.

1800 to 1810

FROM "PIONEER HISTORY of FORSYTH COUNTY, GA."

After the Cherokee Indians defeated the Creek Indians in the Battle of
Taleiva in 1755 they took possession of a large portion of North Georgia.
They desired to establish water powered mills on many of the streams in the
area. They hired Noah Langley and Joshua H. Newberry and others (Millwrights
and millers) to establish and operate powered mills in the Cherokee Nation.
( John Langley might have been a miller also.)

1801 Moses Langley owns land in Jackson Co., Ga tax records page 017

1802 Jackson Co., Ga Tax Digest

Noah Langley Capt. James Hendricks District

John Langley Capt. Alexander Reids District

Moses Langley

Moses Langley, Jr

OCT. 4, 1802 Jackson County, Ga. Superior Court in Co. Of Jackson

Noah Langley served as a witness.

Jackson County , Ga wills and appraisements of estates, minutes of Court of
Ordinary, 1796-1814:

Noah Langley served on the Jury of Jackson County, Ga on these dates.

Monday April 4th 1803

Thursday April 7th 1803

1805 Georgia Land Lottery "Transcribed and Indexed by Virginia S. Wood and
Ralph V. Wood"

Name Serial # Award County of Residence

Langley, Isham 663 B Montgomery

Langley, James 724 P P Richmond

Langley, John 538 B Jackson

Langley, John, Sr 545 B B Jackson

Langley, Moses 537 B B Jackson

Langley, Moses, Jr. 539 P Jackson

Langley, Noah 548 P P Jackson

A "B" means that you drew a Blank and got nothing. A "P" means that you won
a Prize. " Land"

This Lottery was for the counties being formed of Baldwin, Wayne and
Wilkinson

(I don’t know if they took possession of their tracts of Land. It wasn’t
free. These John Langley’s would be too old to be the John Langley who
married Sallie Parris a Cherokee as his birth date is abt 1792.)

A List of Tax Defaulters in Jackson County, Ga. for the year 1809

Capt. Reed's District
Julias Bates, James Burk, John Burk, William Camoron ,Daniel Case,, Joshua
Denton,

William Hammond, Donneigh Hulsey, Jesse Hulsey, John Hulsey, John Lane,
Sen., John Langley, Noah Langley, Robert McCravey, George Sanders, (blank)
Sanders, Vincent Self, Thomas Sockweil, Jesse Thomas
Larkin Turner, Joseph Wilson

(I think that Noah and John Sr. may be brothers. Some say that they are the
sons of Lock Langley from Anson Co., NC. Is Vincent Self related to Annie
self who married Noah Langley?)

VINCENT G. SELF Pension Application, Jackson County Georgia Misc. Records

Jackson Tax List in 1809

Langley, Sr. Miles ; Langley, Jr. Miles ; Langley, Sr. Moses ;Langley Wiley
; Langley Thomas

Mis. Records of Jackson County., Ga. Published by Joseph T. Maddox

Oswell Langley md. Polly (Solly/ Lolly /Lotty) 10-12-1809

March 4, 1816 Polly Langley and Elisha Lolly/Lotty appointed to
adminstrators of the estate of Oswell Langley deceased.

(I don't believe this is the Oswell Langley that marries a Cherokee and is
reported to be the father of Jackson, George, John, Hunter, Goose Langley as
a Oswell/Ozell Langley is reported living with among the Cherokees in 1830
on the Chestatee District with a family)

Deeds Jackson County Ga. Book F

Langley, James fro Moses Langley...153

1810 to 1820

1810 Jackson County, Ga Tax List

Name District

Miles Langley JX/MC 1810 080 Mc Kinney

Miles Langley JX/MN 1810 010 Mc Nees

Noah Langley JX/DI 1810 030 Dixon

Thomas Langley JX/MC 1810 080 McKinney

Wiley Langley JX/HP 1810 072 Harper

Moses Langley JX/HP 1810 072 Harper

Nowel Langley JO/RE 1811 081 Jones Co.

Military Georgia 1812 Rosters Surnames K-L File contributed for use in
USGenWeb Archives by Dianne Wood

LANGLEY NOAH PRIVATE 1 REGIMENT CHAMBERS' GA Militia

LANGLEY NOEL PRIVATE 3 REG'T WIMBERLY'S GA Militia

LANGLEY OSWEL SERGEANT 4 REG'T BOOTH'S GA Militia

The 4th Regiment of Booth's Georgia Militia Fort Hawkins Nov-1814 Company
was organized at Jackson County Georgia (Fort Hawkins was located at Macon,
Ga.)

LANGLY, OSWELL SERGEANT 4 REGIMENT BOOTH'S GA Militia 121 602

Battle of Horseshoe Bend on March 27, 1814.

HORSESHOE BEND CHEROKEE MUSTER Roll

Compiled by: Howard P. White 206 E. Hargrove Rd. Tuscaloosa, Al. 35401

Muster Roll of the field and Staff of a Regiment of Cherokees Commanded by
Colo. Gideon Morgan in the division Commanded by Major General Cocke &
Jackson in the Service of the United States against the Hostile Creeks.

M-208 indicates info from Cherokee Land Records 1806-39 microfilm 208 Added
to Muster Rolls to obtain a complete list

Name Company

31 Hunter, Langley John McLemore

Index of The Emigration Roll of 1817 ( These agreed to emigrate to Indian
Territory West. Listed are the Langley’s)

Betsey Langley, (Who?)

Goose Langley, (Son of Ozwell Langley & Chick A You Cah Hunter?)

Hunter Langley, (Son of Ozwell Langley & Chick A You Cah Hunter?)

Jack Langley, ( Son of John & Sallie Unknown Langley?)

Penny Langley (daughter of Noah Langley & Anne Self ? Abt. 1795)

(Penny married Robert Parris,a mixed blood, who once lived on the
Chattahoochee down river from Vann’s Ferry, later moving to Cherokee County.
"Whites among the Cherokees" by Don Shadburn. )

John Langley qualified for a 640-acre reservation of land on July 10,
1817,which was taken on the Chestatee River in Hall County. He had four
family members at that time.