Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 1998-07 > 0899419280

From: Carol C-H <>
Subject: Re: Copyrighted articles on list!!!
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 17:41:20 -0500

At 12:34 PM 7/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Carol: If we have been told not to allow "fair use" quotes from copyright
>material to be credited to source and posted to our mailing lists --- I
>missed it. I remember this being discussed, but I do not remember anything
>about not allowing "fair use" quotes on e-mail.
>
>Our mailing list is a research group, sharing what we find, but giving
>credit to the source. I agree with Sgt. George.
>
>Perhaps the differing opinion stems from the perception of what is "fair
>use" and/or "reasonable".
>
>As to the original listowner's post, she is the listowner and if she doesn't
>want "fair use" quotes posted to her list, I support her right to make that
>decision.
>
>Later,
>SUE OWENS

Sue - to quote Tim from the last paragraph of his post to this list on 6/26
- "The relevance of all this to the original question is: you can't
copyright a fact, so if you wanted to copy some birth and death dates out
of a book and post them to a list, it would be quite legal. Copying large
portions of text from the book to repost would almost certainly be
actionable, and is something that RootsWeb would probably try to prevent
(in the interest of not being sued, you see)."

Carol C-H <> - RootsWeb sponsor and listowner -
http://www.rootsweb.com/
To subscribe to Larry Stephens' Regional lists, including DEEP-SOUTH-ROOTS
and NC-SC-ROOTS, go to http://php.indiana.edu/~stephenl/genealog.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~REMEMBER MAISER - FIGHT SPAM!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread: