Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2000-02 > 0950724316

From: <>
Subject: Re: Suggestions
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:05:16 EST

In a message dated 2/16/00 11:27:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
> This is going back quite a few years, and it was probably
> well before the web got so huge, but I have a vague
> remembrance of sending (e-mail) for a "List of Lists".
> The command was something like "get lists global". And
> I no longer remember the address. That's how I first
> located Roots-L many years ago.

The original LISTSERV software, which was used by numerous universities
including the one in North Dakota where ROOTS-L got its start, uses such a
command to locate the names of all lists that are being managed by that same
software (regardless of what actual server the list is managed from).
However, these days, lists are managed by a wide variety of mailing list
software packages, and so the only comprehensive "list of genealogy lists"
would be one like that found at John Fuller's Web site.

> But, that doesn't
> really address the question of locating lists through
> search engines either...

Is this a problem, given that I'm fairly certain that John Fuller's site is
already indexed by all major search engines?

Drew Smit

This thread: