Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2000-02 > 0950734202

From: <>
Subject: Re: suggestions
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:50:02 EST

In a message dated 2/16/00 3:38:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
> Alta Vista, and other Search Engines, will find your site if you are
> linked to ONE other site already on the 'net. So if a site is hosted
> by Rootsweb and provides a link back to Rootsweb as a courtesy,
> that site will be found by spiders and indexed.

Lorine, it's the reverse. If you want your page indexed by a search engine,
it doesn't matter what sites your page provides links *to*, it only matters
what sites provide links to *you*. The spiders follow links from pages they
know about to pages they don't. (Or am I just confused about the way in
which you are using the word "link"?)

> Rootsweb cannot come up on a search if it does not create the
> pages. Since Rootsweb is most often the host for others who do
> create them, it is the creator's page which will show on a search.

I'm not clear on what is meant here. (Perhaps my mind is a little fuzzy this
afternoon.)

Drew Smit

This thread: