Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2000-10 > 0972597560

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: Name variation lists
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:59:20 -0500

At 04:26 PM 10/26/2000, wrote:

[snip]

To say that there are no subscribers to a list
>where you are not allowing people to subscribe isn't exactly the same thing
>as saying there are no potential subscribers who ever attempted to join the
>list. You are somewhat forceably sending them to another list when they
>might well have preferred THAT list.
>
>I'd be willing to bet that if subscribers were allowed to sub themselves and
>post unmoderated before long the list would have some subscribers.
>
>Joan

Hi, Joan:

As a matter of principle, you are of course correct. In reality, however,
there was no RUSSEAU list at all until I created it about 40 days ago, at
the same time as I adopted ROUSSEAU. Since then, there has been exactly one
(1) attempted subscriber to RUSSEAU. Her surname spelling was *neither*
RUSSEAU nor ROUSSEAU, but RUSSOW, as I recall, but I didn't save her second
message to me. I think she saw one of the automated new list notices. She
was thrilled to find out that "her" spelling was considered acceptable, and
had been previously mentioned, on the ROUSSEAU list.

Running a "main" list and a "variant spelling sublist" for a surname seems
like a LOT of work, but if my current approach is unacceptable I will
probably move in that direction. Based on the history of the list, I
shouldn't worry about too much traffic, though <grin>.

Darrell A. Martin
RootsWeb admin: VTGEN, VTWINDSO, VTORANGE, VTCALEDO, VTLAMOIL,
F.ELCH, F.ORBUSH, L.AMSON, L.OWER, and R.OUSSEAU/R.USSEAU lists

This thread: