Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2002-03 > 1016771717

From: "Robert W Fay" <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [LO] Reply to whom?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:35:26 -0600
References: <3C9A57CF.1281.E877F6@localhost>
In-Reply-To: <5.1.0.14.2.20020321230955.0576af88@tqsi.com>

Hi John and all,

Well, I understand what you are saying. But probably the most common reason for using a
"reply to" address in an email program is to send it to an address other than that from which
it originated. For that to be effective, then there has to be a pretty good agreement among
email program creaters as to the standard format that will be used. And from non scientific
observation that appears to be by adding a Reply To line in the headers together with the
email address. And that is what Pegasus (and AFAIK) all other email programs read for their
reply to response.

Try following the instructions that were posted and see if that doesn't happen with Eudora!

(For Joan's amusement I have included a reply to header in this post)

Bob Fay

On 21 Mar 2002 at 23:17, John B. Lisle wrote:

> Bob,
> I think your Pegasus is constructing that. I do not see it on any
> messages I get. I have sent a message to myself at my Yahoo address
> and when I look at the message with full headers there it also does
> not have a Reply-to: header.
> I suspect that Pegasus has a form that it fills out when it read a
> message and fits the headers it receives into that form and that
> Reply-to is one of those fields and is never filled in.
> or maybe it is something else.... But I do not think I send out a
> Reply to header blank or otherwise from Eudora.
> john.
> At 09:59 PM 3/21/2002 -0600, Robert W Fay wrote:
> >On 21 Mar 2002 at 22:27, John B. Lisle wrote:
> > > True, but I do not think it adds a reply-to header. At least I
> > > have never seen it. if it were, I think this message would have
> > > one.
> >Hey John,
> >I am showing that your email "reply to" line is blank! If you fill it
> >in, then maybe it will appear here<g> Mine is blank too here, unless
> >I fill it in! Bob Fay
> > > >incoming mail
> > > > account is but your return address
> > > > is
> > > > slightly different. You would then enter
> > > > in this field.
> > > >
> > > >If you do enter an address in this field, first test the address
> > > >to be sure that mail sent to it is indeed delivered to you. If
> > > >you use an invalid return address, no one will be able to reply
> > > >to your mail."