Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2003-02 > 1044503373

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [LO] Why was this person subscribed?
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:49:33 -0600

At 07:11 PM 2/5/03 -0500, wrote:
>In a message dated 2/5/03 11:25:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> > I would
> > *really* like to know what fraction of such "smart" subscriptions
> > is from spammers and other no-goodniks. It wouldn't have to be
> > very large to constitute a problem.
>
>Darrell-
>
>I really think this is a NON-problem. Spammers send their spam to all three
>list addresses -- both request addresses as well as the actual list
>address--so if they have one of the magic word commands they will get subbed
>anyway--but that happens VERY infrequently. I think we can count the
>instances on one hand.
>
>Joan

Hi, Joan:

Interesting; I would have expected more. But I agree, it would have to be a
lot more than a handful to be a problem, given RootsWeb's volume.

Darrell

RootsWeb List Admin - 5 VT and 1 MA location lists
Darrell A. Martin - 18 surnames lists, 1 Scottish clan list
- 1 genealogy software list

This thread: