Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2004-01 > 1075596792

From: "George W. Durman" <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [LO] Email Tags That Contain Surnames
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:53:12 -0500

At 1/31/04 02:45 PM Saturday, L B Hansen wrote:
*********START OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT*********

>I understand the whys and wherefores and maybe I am too lenient
>as a List Administrator - but I think that it is a strict standard
>like
>this that drives subscribers away. Can we loosen up a little?
>Linda
>
> >Endless strings of surnames, permanently attached to and included
> >as part of your signature line are inappropriate and are not to be
> >included in messages sent to this list.
>(snipped)
**********END OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT***********

Linda,

In reality, strict standards like this drive very few people away. If
they're seriously interested in doing genealogy research, they will
abide by whatever "standards" are necessary to ensure the smooth
operation of the Lists and make it easier on everyone in the genealogy
world.

And "loosen up a bit", in my experience, ultimately leads to chaos
and anarchy. Rules should be rules. If a subscriber reads the rules
and feels a lack of personal freedom, he/she can always unsubscribe.
(Very, very few ever unsubscribe because of the rules.)

Regards,
SgtGeorge

This thread: