Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2005-04 > 1112813510

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:51:50 -0400

At 4-6-2005 02:36 PM -0400, Joan Asche wrote:
>It's my understanding that copy and pasting from one Mailing List to
>another is a violation of copyrights because all posts made to the mailing
>lists are the property of the author.
>
>Is this correct?

I Am Not A Lawyer, etc...

- Facts are not copyrightable, so if somebody (re)posts a list of birth
dates, marriage dates, census returns, it's probably OK
- Some minimal quotation (Joan Asche wrote "all posts made to the
mailing lists are the property of the author.") is certainly permitted
under fair use (review, commentary, illustration), particularly if the
poster gives proper attribution.
- On the other hand, wholesale reposting of complete messages probably is a
copyright violation.

There are a number of copyright sites - for US law, check out
http://copyright.gov/ For others, you might want to do a web search.

This thread: