Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2005-09 > 1125894838

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [LO] Reply or Reply All?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 04:33:58 +0000

At 03:07 AM 9/5/2005, G. Lee Hearl wrote:
>Darrell Wrote: <<<<<<<<
>I think the majority of e-mail users ignore "Reply All" or don't even know it exists. Your list traffic will therefore trend to getting questions, but not the answers. Of course some subscribers will know how to send replies to the list as well as the original author, but by no means all will bother even if they do know.
>Darrell >>>>>>>>>>
>Note: I believe it is a duty of the List Administrator educate the subscribers on how to send messages so they reach the intended destination,if there is a problem.
>G. Lee Hearl

Greetings:

The admin of a list where replies go to the original sender by default does not know that such replies are being made, only suspects so, in most cases. That means that other subscribers, and viewers of the list archives, don't know about any replies, either. That is not a problem if the admin does not think it is a problem; but the plain fact remains that the list will, as I said, "trend to getting questions, but not the answers".

It is my opinion that questions without answers are a problem, as a rule. So, all my lists are set to reply to list by default.

Of course if list subscribers are puzzled by what is happening, whatever the settings, the admin must educate. An occasional short tutorial on general principles probably doesn't hurt, either.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin - RootsWeb list admin
e-Mail:
List rules: http://home.sprynet.com/~darrellm/list_rules.htm