Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2006-06 > 1149713895

Subject: Re: [LO] Problem with Salt Lake lady
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:58:15 EDT

In a message dated 6/7/2006 4:27:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

What I do, without naming any names, is send a general message to the
list about whatever the topic is, most often posting their snail mail
and phone or those of others. It says we should not do this and even
when you take it off list you have to be careful; just because you met
someone on this list doesn't mean they can be trusted as anyone can
subscribe. I remind them that non subscribers can read the archives.
Etc. It generally works. No fingers are pointed and it puts the
responsibility on them.

Cheryl

Cheryl-

My problem with this approach is that it seems like you are punishing the
entire list for what ONE person did. That doesn't mean you can't post a
general message to the list with list instructions and not naming names if the
situation warrants it...but there is a very good chance that the very offender
you want to reach won't see himself or herself in the message. I'd definitely
accompany that public generic message with a private more specific message to
the offender.

Joan

This thread: