Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2006-09 > 1158001541

From: James Shuman <>
Subject: Re: [LO] Forwards of moderated messages
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:05:41 -0700

Joan,

Your description sounds very much like what I have been accustomed
to. I complained -- loudly -- to my ISP a year or so ago, and after
some careful checking and monitoring, they pointed out to me that the
messages were actually not leaving RootsWeb's possession very
quickly. Even though the messages were already in the archives, my
own individual copy of that message didn't start its progress to my
inbox until much later.

The explanation I was given was that the messages were sent out in
"packets" by RW rather than in a single "burst" so that transmission
lines weren't overloaded, and followed different routes to their
destinations, thus taking different lengths of time to arrive.

Not a very satisfactory answer, I know. I also discovered that some
of RootsWeb's servers seemed to be much quicker at delivering my mail
than others. Nothing I could really prove, but a strong hunch.

And... maybe this is just "smoke," but it always seemed to me that
the bigger the list, the longer it took my messages to arrive. I
chalked it up to having a name near the end of the alphabet, but
someone pointed out that my email name is actually in the first half
of the alphabet -- as is yours.

JS

--
James Shuman