Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2008-05 > 1212097703

From: MJDallas <>
Subject: Re: [LO] question marks in subject line
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:48:23 -0400

Lena C. wrote:

> In my pending requests, I'm getting about 15 messages
> per day with the subject of "????? ????? ???" or some
> other variation of question marks... I would
> think even the stupidest spam filter could have
> figured it out by now :)

I think I'll throw in my two cents here. It's very possible that
the string of question marks is simply a substitute for foreign
characters that can't be displayed by Mailman (such as Cyrillic,
Chinese, Arabic, etc.). So, potentially, each of these messages
could have an entirely different subject line if displayed in the
correct character set.

-Marie

This thread: