Listowners-L Archives

Archiver > Listowners > 2010-08 > 1281386334

From: Charani <>
Subject: Re: [LO] Lots of Porn
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:38:54 +0100

wrote:

> Yes, I am aware of all this but if enough were bounced back to them it
> would make it a little less productive to bomb all addresses. </HTML>

The only time I ever used an ISP address, it ended up being spammed
out of existence because a spammer had forged part of my address (the
part after the @) and every spam mail that was bounced back for
whatever reason ended up in my inbox.

I stopped using an ISP dependent address again.

The point was that the addresses used by the spammers *looked* genuine
and there's no way to tell whether they are or not. Bouncing mails
back simply doesn't work. All it achieves is clagging up cyberspace
with mails that are bouncing around here, there and everywhere. It's
reckoned that 80% of the mails in cyberspace are spam.

This is from an article on the BBC news site, and, to be honest, it's
quite hilarious. It's about the destruction of the Mariposa botnet
but it's the attitude of two of the humans involved. It starts about
a third of the way down. www.bbc.co.uk/news/10240117

<quote>
Mr Corrons then pointed out that the two men had negligible technical
skills that would not recommend them to any computer company.

"He got really annoyed at that moment, when we told him he was not
good enough," said Mr Corrons. Subsequent discussion revealed just how
poor their skills were.

"They were given the botnet with all the stuff they needed," said Mr
Corrons. "Using it was like using any other program.

"In the same way, I don't know how to program Word, but I can write
documents with it," he said.
</quote>

All the spammers do is press a button and the program they've been
given does the rest.

--
Charani (UK)
OPC for Walton, Greinton and Clutton, SOM

This thread: