MA-BAY-COLONY-L Archives

Archiver > MA-BAY-COLONY > 2005-11 > 1132151316

From: Wilma Fleming Haynes <>
Subject: Josiah Cooke and Elizabeth Ring??
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:28:36 -0800

Hi Paula and list -

Elizabeth RING was my 10th gr grandmother - this is what I have on the
family - NO, I don't know the parents of Josiah COOKE - if you find out -
please share with the list -

SOURCE:
Sav v1 p448; Torrey's NE M prior 1700 p178; Plymouth Colony p271-2; Cape Cod
Library of the history and genealogy by Leonard H Smith jr v1 p715; The
Great Migration Begins, vol 1 [old series] pg 472-475;

Josiah 1) COOKE
+ Elizabeth 2) RING widow of Stephen DEAN
William -1) RING
+ Mary 1) DURANT

NOTES: Josiah...or Josias (as found on p278 under Stephen Dean) was on the
tax list 1634..in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA; see Bio. sketches of Plymouth
Colony.On 24 March 1633-4 he and Edward Doty were fined 6 shillings 8 pence
each for breaking the peace..and since Doty drew blood from Josiah Cooke,
Doty was to pay him 3 shillings four pence for it..On 16 Sep 1635 Josiah
married as the second husband of Elizabeth Ring the widow of Stephen Dean.

Elizabeth (Ring) & Stephen Dean were my 10th gr grandparents..

Josiah died 1673 in his will he named his wife Elizabeth, his son Josias,
his son-in-law Joseph Harding, his dau Bethia (Cooke) Harding their sons
Joseph & Amaziah Harding...his son-in-law *William Twining his son Stephen
Twining..his step daughter (his wife's daughter) Meriam Dean and grandsons
Josiah & Richard Cooke..William Twining had married his step daughter
Elizabeth Dean. Josiah & Elizabeth's dau Anna Cooke had md Mark Snow the so
Nicholas & Constance 2) (Hopkins) Snow; His son Josiah had married Deborah
Hopkins do Gyles 2) Hopkins. His dau Bethia had married Joseph Harding who
was the ward and nephew of John Doane..

I put the below out on the MAYFLOWER list -