Archiver > MA-BAY-COLONY > 2005-11 > 1132151316

From: Wilma Fleming Haynes <>
Subject: Josiah Cooke and Elizabeth Ring??
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:28:36 -0800

Hi Paula and list -

Elizabeth RING was my 10th gr grandmother - this is what I have on the
family - NO, I don't know the parents of Josiah COOKE - if you find out -
please share with the list -

Sav v1 p448; Torrey's NE M prior 1700 p178; Plymouth Colony p271-2; Cape Cod
Library of the history and genealogy by Leonard H Smith jr v1 p715; The
Great Migration Begins, vol 1 [old series] pg 472-475;

Josiah 1) COOKE
+ Elizabeth 2) RING widow of Stephen DEAN
William -1) RING
+ Mary 1) DURANT

NOTES: Josiah...or Josias (as found on p278 under Stephen Dean) was on the
tax list Plymouth, Plymouth, MA; see Bio. sketches of Plymouth
Colony.On 24 March 1633-4 he and Edward Doty were fined 6 shillings 8 pence
each for breaking the peace..and since Doty drew blood from Josiah Cooke,
Doty was to pay him 3 shillings four pence for it..On 16 Sep 1635 Josiah
married as the second husband of Elizabeth Ring the widow of Stephen Dean.

Elizabeth (Ring) & Stephen Dean were my 10th gr grandparents..

Josiah died 1673 in his will he named his wife Elizabeth, his son Josias,
his son-in-law Joseph Harding, his dau Bethia (Cooke) Harding their sons
Joseph & Amaziah Harding...his son-in-law *William Twining his son Stephen
Twining..his step daughter (his wife's daughter) Meriam Dean and grandsons
Josiah & Richard Cooke..William Twining had married his step daughter
Elizabeth Dean. Josiah & Elizabeth's dau Anna Cooke had md Mark Snow the so
Nicholas & Constance 2) (Hopkins) Snow; His son Josiah had married Deborah
Hopkins do Gyles 2) Hopkins. His dau Bethia had married Joseph Harding who
was the ward and nephew of John Doane..

I put the below out on the MAYFLOWER list -

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:11 AM
Subject: [MFLR] Josiah COOKE 1645-1732

I have the following -

b 1610 ,,England
d. 17 Oct 1673 Eastham, Barnstable,
md 16 Sep 1635 Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
*Elizabeth 2) RING [RING line below]
b. 1602/1603 Ufford, Suffolk, England
d. 28 Dec 1787 Eastham, Barnstable,
widow of
*Stephen DEANE
b. 1606 ,,England
d. 1 Sep 1634 ,Plymouth, MA
*Elizabeth RING & Stephen DEAN were
my 10th gr grandparents -

Children of Elizabeth & Stephen DEAN

(1) Elizabeth DEAN b. 1628 [my line]
(2) Miriam DEAN md John WING
(3) Susanna DEAN md1) Joseph ROGERS
md2) Stephen SNOW

Children of Josiah 2) COOKE and
Elizabeth 2) RING-DEANE all born
Eastham, Barnstable, Massachusetts

i. Anne 2) COOKE
b. ....
d. 24 July 1656 Eastham, MA
md. 18 Jan 1655 "
Mark 2) SNOW [Nicholas 1]
b. 9 May 1628 Plymouth, MA
d. 1694/5 Eastham, Barn.,MA
md2) 9 Jan 1660/1 Eastham,
Barnstable, MA
Jane or Mary 2) PRINCE
b. 1 Nov 1637 Duxbury,
Plymouth, Massachusetts
ii. Bethia 2) COOKE
b. ..... Plymouth, Plymouth,
d. 17 oct 1673 Eastham,
Barnstable, Massachusetts
md. 4 Apr 1660 Eastham, MA
Joseph 1) HARDING
b. ...... ,,England
d. ...... Eastham, Barn., MA
2. iii. Josiah 2) COOKE 1645-1732

b. 1645 Eastham, Barnstable, MA
d. 31 Jan 1732 Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
md 27 July 1668 Eastham, Barnstable,
Deborah 3) HOPKINS [Giles 2,Stephen 1
& 1/wf Mary-1...]
b. June 1648 Eastham, Barnstable, MA
d .............

A. William -1) RING
b. abt 1575 Pettistree, Suffolk, Eng
d. bef 1629 Leiden, Holland
md. 21 May 1601 Ufford, Suffolk, Eng
Mary 1) DURANT
b. abt 1579 Ufford, Suffolk, England
d. aft Oct 1633 ,Plymouth, MA

Children - all born Ufford, Suffolk,
England -

i. Elizabeth 2) RING [see above]
ii. Susanna 2) RING
b. 1609/10
d. bef 1664 ,Plymouth, MA
md. abt 1634 ,Plymouth, MA
Thomas 1) CLARKE s/o Thomas-1,
CLARKE & Rose-1
b. 1599 Stepney, Middlesex, Eng
d. 24 Mar 1697 Plymouth,
Plymouth, Massachusetts
2. iii. Andrew 2) RING 1616/18-1693

2. Andrew 2) RING
b. 1616/1618 Ufford, Suffolk, England
d. 1693 Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
md. 23 Apr 1646 Plymouth, Plymouth,MA
Deborah 2) HOPKINS d/o Stephen & 2/wf
Elizabeth [FISHER]
b. 1622 Plymouth, Plymouth, MA
d. 1669 "

This is probably more than you asked for -

Wilma Fleming Haynes