MA-CEMETERIES-L Archives

Archiver > MA-CEMETERIES > 2007-08 > 1187000603

From: "Betty" <>
Subject: [MA-CEMETERIES] Losing Your Gravesite
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:23:23 -0400

Hi Charles,

I think that happens in Canada, possibly in Quebec City, but I think paryt
of the story is that the cemetery officials keep track of whether anyone has
taken care of a grave for a long time. And, if a lot of time goes by,
they can re-sell the gravesite. However, I got the impression that
they don't move the coffin, they move the stone.

So, if there are places for 6 coffins in a gravesite, but only one or two
have been used and not cared for for 40 years, they will remove the stone
and put a new stone in its place - with the coffins of a new family. I
might be wrong, but that's the impression I got. Either way, if an
ancestor is one of the people in a gravesite, and someone else's stone is
above him or her, you still can't find him.

And, as you've said before, the Catholic Cemetery on Rindge Ave. in
Cambridge has no street signs or any signs at all to tell visitors where a
grave might be buried there. And, it's not a small cemetery; closer to
a medium-size cemetery, so you'd have to spend half-a-day walking around
and looking at every stone.

Speaking of Catholic Cemeteries, did I post on this List the other day -
that the Archdiocese Office is moving, and will be closing for one year ?

If you need information from them, you need to contact them before the end
of this month !

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

New List created on Feb. 1: CAN-USA-MIGRATION

For Genealogy researchers, please remember to check the archives of the
Lists & Boards for both your surnames and place-names.

This thread: