MAESSEX-L Archives

Archiver > MAESSEX > 2001-08 > 0996845364

From: Mariana <>
Subject: Re: [MAESSEX] Lydia CLARK m. Charles GOTT
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:30:27 -0400

At 01:55 AM 8/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi MAESSEX list,
>
> Am curious if there is more known on the CLARK family below.
>
>Lydia CLARK d/o William CLARK
>b. 31 Oct 1642

Here is what I have on the William Clark family. I was not able to find a birth record for Lydia..... note, 5 months between the birth date given above and the bapt date for Susanna below.

*ancestor of Mariana Bean Ruggles
WILLIAM*1 CLARK (Source: History of Salem, p 183.). He married CATHERINE* (--?--) (Source: History of Salem, p 183.).

Children of WILLIAM* CLARK and CATHERINE* (--?--) are:
i. BETHIA*2 CLARK, b. 26 August 1638, bapt Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts; d. Bef. 1678 (Source: Stearns, Ezra, Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, (1908).); m. JOSEPH* HUTCHINSON; b. 1633, North Markham, England (Source: Stearns, Ezra, Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, (1908).); d. Bef. June 1716 (Source: Stearns, Ezra, Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire, (1908).).
ii. SUSANA CLARK, b. March 1643, bapt Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts (Source: Salem VR, 1:182.).
iii. DEBORAH CLARK, b. 6 July 1645, bapt Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts (Source: Salem VR, 1:182.); d. 16 March 1666, Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts (Source: Salem VR, 5:157.).

This does not give us any given names, but does add to our understanding of this family

"Mrs Katherine Clarke of Salem, widow, petitioned the General court about the settlement of her husbands estate, and it was referred to this court. Ordered 30:10:1647 that the widow have £ 150 and the four younger children to have £ 110, £ 40 to be allowed toward their education and remainder to be paid when of age or upon marriage. "The elder son to have a double pchon and his eldest son by former wife to have £ 20, the other £ 10, and shee that was married in his lifetime, £ 5." "
Source:
Salem Quarterly Court Records 2:226

Catherine married about 1650 John Gedney as her 2nd husband.

Essex Vital Records are available on a CD by Search & Research Publishing Corporation, Wheat Ridge, CO
available at http://www.essexbooks.com

There is this source which I have not seen.
The Children of Mr. William Clarke of Salem, Mass., Frances Davis McTeer & Frederick C. Warner, The American Genealogist, 39:111, 1963

Mariana

This thread: