MANGUM-L Archives

Archiver > MANGUM > 2004-02 > 1076109591

From: "Juli Morgan" <>
Subject: [MANGUM] Will of Ellison Mangum, Orange Co, NC 1865
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:19:51 -0600

I was researching another line in Orange County, North Carolina and came across this transcription of the Will of Ellison Mangum. Although it's not my line (that I know of), I hope it might help someone else.

Juli

Ellison Mangum
Orange County, North Carolina
Will Book G, Page 509 through 509-C

In the name of God Amen
I Ellison G. Mangum of Orange County now in feeble health but by
the blessing God of perfect mind and memory do make ordain and
publish this my last will and testament as follows
to wit
Item 1 I desire my body to be buried in a decent and christain like
manner at the expence of my estate and that all my just debts paid
Item 2. I give devise and bequeath to my son Addison Mangum and his
heirs forever the tract of land on which he now resides in the
County aforesaid known as the Nathaniel Harris Tract containing
500. acres or thereabout
Item 3. I give devise and bequeath to my son Adolphus W. Mangum and
his heirs forever the Tract of Land on which I now reside in said
County known as my family Homestead containing two hundred & forty
eight acres and another Tract adjoining the same known as the
Dicey Mangum Tract containing about two hundred acres
Item 4 I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Cornelia Davis and
her heirs for her Sole Seperate and exclusive use the Tract of land
on which she and her husband Samuel Davis now reside and known as the
Adcock tract containing forty acres more or less and one Seventh part
of my McCowen Tract to be laid off adjoining the same all to be held
by her during her natural life and then to her children. But the said
Samuel Davis has my obligation to make title to him for the said
Adcock Tract and some forty acres of the McCowen Tract described in
the said written obligation and if he shall elect to fulfill the said
contract and shall pay my Executors for said land so as to obtain title
then I devise and bequeath to my said Daughter Cornelia the monies
received for said land and so much of the McCowen Tract as added to
the part purchased by her husband as aforesaid of that Tract as shall
make one Seventh part thereof all to be held to her sole seperate and
exclusive use during her life and at her death to her children in fee simple
Item 5 I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Amanda F. Webb wife of
Robt F. Webb my tract of land known as the Moize Tract containing about
one hundred & forty acres for her Sole Seperate and exclusive use during
her life and at her death to her children in fee simple
Item 6. I give devise and bequeath to my Daughter Lucy E. Mangum and
her heirs my two adjoining tracts of land known as the Buffalo Hill
tract and the Alfred Jones Tract containing in the whole about two
hundred & forty acres
Item 7. I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Sally B. Lunsford
and her heirs one Seventh part of my estate as hereinafter more fully
explained
Item 8 I give devise and bequeath to my grand daughters Cornelia
Elisabeth and Ada C. Laws children of my deceased daughter Caroline
wife of Thomas Laws one Seventh part of my estate in equal ?
and if either of them shall die before attaining the age of twenty
one years or marriage her ? to go to the survivor and in the event
of the death of the survivors under that age and unmarried the whole
to return to my estate and be divided among my children or their
representatives as if my children survived
Item 9 I will and direct that my McCowen Tract of land excluding the
portion allotted to Cornelia Davis as aforesaid be divided into six
equal Shares and of these I devise one to each of my living children
aboved named except the said Cornelia Davis and one to my grand daughters
Cornela E & Ada C. Laws, and their heirs subject to the limitation
over to my children in the event of their death under age and
unmarried as above provided.
Item 10. I direct no public sale of any portion of my property - But
I will and direct as to all my lands not herein before devised and
any Articles of personal property that my Executors may deem it for
the benefit of my estate to Sell that they shall make sale thereof
privately or at their discretion publicly and bring the proceeds
into account with my estate
Item 11. I direct that my Daughter Lucy shall have which articles of
my household furniture in the division as she may select and after
her my son Adolphus W. such as he may select at valuation
Item 12. Desiring to make my children and my two grand children
aforesaid as represenatives of their mother all equal in the
provision made for them in this will. I request that the County
Court of Orange at the Term next Suceeding my death shall appoint
three commissioners of said County to access and value the Several
tracts of land or articles of personal property hereinbefore
devised and bequeathed and each devisee or legatee shall shall
be charged with the valuation affixed in part of his or her equal
share of my estate and shall receive nothing more until the other
legatees shall have received alike amount
Item 13. I will and direct that all debts due me and any residue
of my estate be collected in by my Executors and added to the
general fund so as to make an equal division in value as aforesaid
among my children aforesaid and grandchildren representing their
mother
Item 14 considering Slavery as abolished I direct that the bonds
of my sons in law or any members of my family for Slaves received
by them of me shall be surrendered up
Item 15 I nominate and appoint my two sons Addison Mangum and
Adolphus W. Mangum testamentary Guardians of my grand daughters
Cornelia E and Ada C. Laws for the control and management of
their Estate herein devised and bequeathed to them
And lastly I renominate & appoint my said two sons Executors of
this my last Will & Testament hereby revoking all will by me
heretofore made
Signed Sealed and
published by the testator
in presence of us this
7th day of October 1865
E. G. Mangum (seal)
W. A. Graham
B.C. Smith
Codicil in the foregoing Will
I direct that five acres of land of the Moize tract be laid off
so as to include the Store house and buildings in convenient shape
& be excepted out of the aforesaid Moize Tract and I devise the
said five acres with the buildings thereon to my said two sons
Addison & Adolphus W. Mangum and their heirs
October 7th 1865
Witness E. G. Mangum Seal
W A Graham
B. C Smith

Orange County Court February Term 1867
The foregoing last will & testament of Ellison G. Mangum deceased
was duly proved in open court
See minutes

This thread: